You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-24 15:37:58

LithoUser

Create a bootable USB key to install Arch instead of Windows

Hello everyone,

I just bought a new laptop with Windows 11. I would like to install Arch instead (without dual boot).

So on my desktop PC (which is already running Arch) I created a USB stick from the ISO, using the following command:

sudo dd bs=4M if=archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdi conv=fsync oflag=direct status=progress

The problem is that I can't even boot my new computer on the key. I changed the boot settings to put the two partitions (which were automatically created with the above command) as 1st and 2nd in the boot options... but it's still Windows that boots.

I'm wondering if it could be a problem related to the format of the partitions, that Windows would not be able to read...

So my question is: is there a particular way to create a USB key on which I can boot to install Arch instead of Windows 11?

Thanks in advance for your help!

#2 2023-05-24 15:46:32

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Create a bootable USB key to install Arch instead of Windows

Unlikely, make sure SecureBoot is disabled as the ISO doesn't support it. Also which exact mainboard is this, and which exact boot options do you see? On anything remotely modern you should have a [UEFI] $modelofyourusbstick or similar boot option.

#3 2023-05-25 05:59:14

LithoUser

Re: Create a bootable USB key to install Arch instead of Windows

Thank you for your answer.

SecureBoot is enabled; I'll try to disable it and boot on the USB key when I have time (next monday). I'll report here if it works... and will cry if it doesn't.

Have a nice day!

Board footer