You are not logged in.

#226 2023-04-09 16:11:29

jl2
Website

Re: Anybody using Arch as their daily driver?

I use it in private, but it's pretty hard to use office365 on linux (i'm still in school, i'm slightly anoying everyone by running linux...). all the alternatives suck if i ask my cousin (also arch + w10 WM [no dualboot, seems to suck])
it runs perfectly on my older laptop, but i am having some slight issues on my newer (school) laptop(S3 sleep states + ...)

Last edited by jl2 (2023-04-09 16:18:26)

Why I run Arch? To "BTW I run Arch" the guy one grade younger.
And to let my siblings and cousins laugh at Arsch Linux...

#227 2023-04-23 21:50:11

alevisio

I'm running Arch on 4GB RAM so I'm not really using it for any of my daily "intensive" activities involving homework and stuff. It's just easier for me to use a Windows OS for that because my school requires Outlook hmm

It's been great for casual browsing which is really all I'm looking for on that computer. The experience has been so lovely that the thought of wiping my more powerful systems and installing Arch is... tempting. I intend to make it my one and only one day, just not today I guess.

#228 2023-05-11 15:53:23

h_d33r

I have been daily driving Arch and EndeavourOS for more than a year, and so far I haven't had any problems doing my research work (medicinal chemistry). More than anything, I think I've become more productive than during my windows days, lol

#229 2023-05-23 22:06:55

madderhatter

I daily drive Arch Linux and my background is nothing more than a tinkerer in technology. I was introduced to desktop computing through Windows 3.11 and didn't make the switch to Linux fully until last year. This last month I set out determined to conquer the learning curve of Arch Linux coming from Pop OS! From my experience with distro hopping I know for a fact I won't be leaving Arch anytime soon. I'll distro hop in a VM instead because WOW this system blows me away for how great the performance is. I'm seeing massive performance gains in battery life and application loading it's insane! From fully powered off to the login screen is 10 seconds and 2 seconds more to load the desktop. This is the best desktop computing experience I have ever had. It's rock solid consistent too. I've tried EndeavourOS, Manjaro, and Garuda, and while not terrible they are definitely counterfeits to the real thing. The only downside I see to Arch is how many computing bucket list items it checked off for me. Kind of leaves a tinkerer without much left to do except use the system. I may actually have to go outside and socialize with people.....

We're all mad down here Georgie...

#230 2023-05-25 05:24:22

Danct12

I've been a happy Arch Linux user since 2017, started to use Antergos after a friend suggested in 2018 I started to finally reinstall my system using the archiso and been using the same install since then, even after I built my 5950x rig I still transferred the same install over. BTW, most of my computer runs Arch Linux, even on the 1st gen i3 system that I just cleaned up and was going to resell, that thing uses a mechanical hard drive still and it boots faster than Windows 7.

As for background, I'm pretty much a small developer and a tinkerer, mostly playing around with weird ARM devices and other weird stuff.

[2018-07-01 15:34] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman -r /mnt -Sy --cachedir=/mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg --noconfirm base'

btw i use arch.. and no one cares. sad

#231 2023-07-02 08:28:34

kvorschk

I have run a ton of distro's off and on from 2001 to 2018. None of them ever really stuck and I kept going back to windows. I decided to give linux another shot and tried elementary. When I realized all the questions I had were answered in the Arch wiki, I installed it instead and have been using it as my main ever since. I use it on all my servers, desktops and laptops. I even have my 7 year old running it. I have admin'd and built a few networks. I could never see myself running another os again. If Arch were to ever die I will be forced to finally go LFS.

#232 2023-07-02 12:07:58

ectospasm

kvorschk wrote:

If Arch were to ever die I will be forced to finally go LFS.

There's always Gentoo, before you get to LFS.  At least Gentoo has proper package management, which you don't get with LFS.

#233 2023-07-02 15:52:55

kvorschk

ectospasm wrote:
kvorschk wrote:

If Arch were to ever die I will be forced to finally go LFS.

There's always Gentoo, before you get to LFS.  At least Gentoo has proper package management, which you don't get with LFS.

It's funny. I almost never consider it when I have had the thought, "what if Arch dies?" I may have to install it on one of my spared this weekend and finally check it out. Thanks for the idea!

#234 2023-07-02 16:13:42

ewaller
Administrator

kvorschk wrote:

[ I may have to install it on one of my spared this weekend and finally check it out. Thanks for the idea!

You've never tried it before, have you?  Hint: You may want to allocate more than a weekend to the task.
I love Gentoo, I really do.  But a cold install from an empty disk?  Plan on a week.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#235 2023-07-08 01:13:03

dnim

I get everything done with Arch, gaming, productivity, general browsing, etc. Exactly the UX I want.

#236 2023-07-13 04:56:21

USPMAN1.3

I’ve been using Arch as my daily driver since 2018. Started with Manjaro then Arco and a little with EndeavorOS.
Out of the Arch distros I think EndeavorOS is the best and makes Arch accessible to newer users.

And most recently I switched my daily driver laptop and PC to vanilla arch installed from scratch. Besides some theming and extra apps EndeavorOS is so close to vanilla arch.

I run a Nvidia GTX 1080ti on my main machine. I’m not much of a gamer anymore but it runs CS:GO flawlessly and a few other non-Linux games. I’ll never go back to Windows or Mac.

I do video editing, image/photo editing, and all my coding on Arch Linux.

I highly recommend everyone try Doom EMacs for coding and text editing!

Last edited by USPMAN1.3 (2023-07-13 04:58:04)

#237 2023-07-26 19:53:18

Seacat17

Just "yes". I love Arch. I had some experience with Linux already so when one cool guy asked me to give it a try - I did. And I'm happy.

Born to lose

#238 2023-07-27 04:36:35

francesco

I use Arch as a daily driver as well.
I started using Linux in general a year or so ago, and started using Arch as a daily driver three months ago.
Arch in school is awesome, I can do everything I did with Windows, just... faster and better, even the screenreader is snappier! furthermore my laptops battery lasts me forever.
I do have a win 10 VM set-up with quickemu for emergencies and a single app, that's it. Just need to learn latex and emax with emacspeak and I'll be golden!

#239 2023-09-02 15:24:02

diyfan

I do

#240 2023-09-07 13:18:42

Utini
Website

Yes - Although with a constant opened RDP connection to my companies Windows Server.

This way I am fully integrated into my companies local network and Microsoft world (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Windows Drive Shares,...).
It is a bit tricky (e.g. with multi monitor usage, transferring files between RDP server and my laptop,...) but performance is fine.
So in that way my Arch setup is basically just the host of a Windows VM environment.

Besides that I do everything else I can on Arch.

Last edited by Utini (2023-09-07 13:19:01)

Setup 1: Thinkpad T14s G3, 14" FHD - R7 6850U - 32GB RAM - 2TB Solidigm P44 Pro NVME
Setup 2: Thinkpad X1E G1, 15.6" FHD - i7-8850H - 32GB RAM - NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti - 2x 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVME
Accessories: Filco Majestouch TKL MX-Brown Mini Otaku, Benq XL2420T (144Hz), Lo(w)gitech G400, Puretrak Talent, Sennheiser HD800S + Meier Daccord FF + Meier Classic FF

#241 2023-09-24 21:02:52

thoushaltnot

I'm running Arch as my daily driver - gaming, watching youtube and all that normal stuff people do with their home PCes. Ironically, it's the only distro that just works - no package manager breakages, no freezes etc.

#242 2023-12-28 18:57:48

//////

i use Arch for everything.

gaming
browsing
coding
testing (whatever)

Arch has not let me down so far, only once by my own mistake while resizing partition.

[AMD Ryzen 9 5900X] [ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING] [GeForce RTX 4060 Ti] [Ram 48GB] [ASUSTek Xonar SoundCard]

#243 2023-12-29 11:14:31

Akusari

I'm using Arch as my Home-Server (Home-Lab) and on my Laptop. For gaming i'm still using Windows with special hardware.

On my server the most things are virtualized of course: Nextcloud, pi-hole, dns,smtp, ntp, redis, and so on.
The entire family using this host local and over internet.
Arch is so stable for a rolling release and sometimes i slow down the rollout importend packages. ;-)

The System runs with a custom cpu+gpu water loop:

(The GPU is used for streaming only under a Windows-VM)

23-12-23-19-43-44-3509.jpg

Regards, Akusari

#244 2024-01-04 23:28:24

mihaidev-cloud
Website

I may not using it daily, but I do use it as a hobby based,  like a sandbox where I play with my digital toys.

i'm a rice fanatic so maybe that's why.

But I did once used my laptop as daily driver.
but I got tired and used my computer for important stuff(office and etc.) and the laptop as a operating system experiment.

But as long you have everything you need on arch you can use it as daily driver smile

I may not be the best and helpful arch linux user, but i’m not the worst smile

#245 2024-01-06 00:53:53

ectospasm

I'm not a ricer, and there's a difference between my daily driver for personal stuff, and what my job issues to me.  My personal daily driver is this new Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, 11th gen, which I just installed Arch on last week.  It's really fucking fast!  The only problem I've had with it thus far is the OLED screen really drains battery life a lot more than I had hoped, but everything I've tried to do has worked.

At work I'm issued a MacBook Pro (circa mid-2020, so still Intel), and I have very little say in that.  Still, it is bare metal UNIX, so I believe it's far better than Windows, and Keyboard Maestro, Karabiner Elements, and Amethyst make macOS tolerable.

#246 2024-01-16 19:38:04

hazelnut
Website

I use Arch on my desktop PC and my personal laptop. I work as a sysadmin, which I have to use my work laptop for, it is a Windows machine. A few games I like playing have gradually become unplayable on all Linux installations, so I am considering dual booting on my personal laptop somewhere in the coming months. The games in question (mostly League) aren't the best for mental health though so I'm actively discouraging myself from taking the plunge.. tongue

hazel, that's me.
https://hazelthats.me/

#247 2024-01-20 21:16:17

cgb_spender
Website

Yes, I use Arch as my daily driver!

Only one thing is certain: nothing is certain.

#248 2024-02-09 20:05:30

Nikolai5

I use it as my daily driver. I work from home and use it as my work PC and I also use it for gaming.

It was gaming that actually led me to try Arch in the first place because I wanted to run a distribution that had up to date kernel and driver packages out of the box rather than running Debian Unstable, etc.
I also wanted a distribution that didn't repackage mesa with non-free codec support removed (Fedora, Manjaro, etc). Debian doesn't but it's a little too LTS for what I want from a distribution, but I have infinite respect for it.

Arch ticks a lot of boxes and does a lot of things right. I do find the community can be a little sour when it comes to helping people though. There's a difference between helping people help themselves and some of the things I've seen here, but I guess it's the nature of the beast.

If anyone is reading this wondering if its a good idea or not to run Arch as a daily machine or for work or anything, why not? Don't be fooled by Manjaro's claim that they're more stable because they're a week or two behind and it's not a lot of work to install the little things that are pre-installed on other distros. I would recommend reading the installation guide regardless of whether you use the "archinstall" script or not though. You should at least understand what is being done or how you would go about setting it up yourself.

Ryzen 7 1800X | AMD 7800XT | KDE Plasma
wine64-preloader is my favourite game.

#249 2024-02-14 17:45:50

rookslide

Yes Arch is my daily driver. I'm still a noob to Arch but I've used various flavors in the past and decided to dive in and really try to understand the inner workings of Linux better so Arch it is for me! I still get hiccups but that keeps the learning going! All good in the end!

#250 2024-02-25 11:47:20

walkingstickfan

I use Debian Stable, Debian Unstable, and Arch Linux as my daily drivers.

Arch Linux with Openbox & Tint2

Board footer