You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-26 16:54:52

zero_slash_zero

TV overscan issue in KDE Plasma under Wayland with Intel Arc A770

I recently built a new desktop, with a i7-13700K and a Intel Arc A770 GPU. My TV is the only display I have, and when I hook it up to the TV, the edges of the display are cut off. I dug through the TV menus, found a setting for overscan, however it is grayed out, and looking up its manual says that it is apparently only enabled for VGA input. I don't want to have to buy a separate adapter, so would rather fix this with just my hardware.

My laptop, with an AMD Ryzen 6800U + iGPU, shows an overscan setting in the Plasma settings, and that works perfectly to make the TV usable. Before I used Arch, I was able to set the resolution to 1600x900 and get a working image without overscan. I can still do that, and it works just as well. However, on my desktop, neither the resolution is available, nor the overscan setting.

All the resolutions on my desktop (except for 16:9 aspect ratio resolutions, which trigger overscan issues), cause mashed up images that make text unreadable. My laptop shows none of the resolutions that my desktop shows except for the 16:9 ratio ones (1920x1080 and 1280x720).

Things I've tried:
switching to x11 via the option at the login screen: same results
under x11: using xrandr to forcibly set the 1600x900 resolution: does not have the same effect as on my laptop, instead shows mashed up image
under wayland: following this article: https://davejansen.com/add-custom-resol … and-gnome/ (tl;dr: add video=DP-3:1600x900@60 to kernel command line, weird as the TV is plugged in via HDMI): did not appear to have any effect at all (I did regenerate GRUB)

I have not tried the iGPU in the CPU, as for some reason the TV refuses to show a signal with it.

Please let me know if there is any other information I should provide. Thanks in advance!

Board footer