You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-02 19:14:04

GMON

Framework Laptop stopped booting overheated in backpack

A few days ago I packed up my arch framework laptop thinking it'd go to sleep (which it usually does) and put it in my bag just to find it very hot a few hours later.

When I tried booting the laptop later that day it was completely discharged. After plugging it in and trying to boot it the system completely froze, still displaying the systemd text that tells you what services started. It stayed frozen like that for multiple hours before the battery eventually ran out.

What confuses me even more is that neither the live arch iso nor the second arch install I have on my ssd can boot! They all freeze just like my main install! An issue I never had

I have tried booting other distros and surprisingly ubuntu works without any issues. Same with manjaro which allowed me to arch-chroot into my main system to do a `sudo pacman -Syu`. It changed nothing though.

I could even boot my windows partition! Grub also works with no issues what-so-ever.

I've hit a complete dead end at this point and am considering contacting the framework support and getting a replacement. This is in a way my final call for help and I'd appreciate really anything <3

Here is my `journalctl -b -1` that I got using chroot on manjaro

https://pastebin.com/fww0hdmc

#2 2023-06-03 17:04:50

GMON

Re: Framework Laptop stopped booting overheated in backpack

Since making this post I have tried following things:

- Managed to Boot when using the `nomodeset` kernel parameter. Although with it set I cannot launch any graphical programs such as sway, i3 or gnome.

- By using the `i915.modeset=0` kernel parameter I could too get into a tty. No graphics at all though, same as `nomodeset`

- Unplugged SSD and tried booting the arch iso.

- Plugged the SSD into another laptop, on which everything worked without any issues.

- Reinstalled GRUB

- Tried booting with the linux LTS kernel.

- Tried booting the newest arch iso. Nothing changed and it got stuck at the same point as before. The last line displayed being

[     7.185979] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] VT-d active for gfx access

...the same as when booting from my SSD before the system freezes. Loglevel=7 was set.

- Changing thr RAM slot to slot #1 (from slot #0)

- Running Memtest86+ --> Pass

- Double checked to see if Secure boot was really disabled

- Reinstalled & Updated all Packages

- Tried a different USB

- Checked Arch iso USB on other laptop --> No problems

-  On Ubuntu which I CAN boot, under About>Graphics the driver listed is:
```llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.1, 256 bits)```

Just to be clear I have been running arch linux with little to no issues on this Laptop for almost half a year now. The Arch ISO used to work, and now that very same ISO cant boot. My arch install too used to work flawlessly.

This almost leads me to believe that this is a Hardware issue but that cannot be the case since other Operating Systems DO work flawlessly such as a live Ubuntu ISO and Windows.

I have also noticed that when shutting down from Ubuntu, Windows or nomodset arch linux my laptop doesnt manage to fully shutdown and just stays on the shutdown screen for over 10 minutes until I manually kill the system with the power button. On linux it just shows

reboot: Power down 

Last edited by GMON (2023-06-03 20:11:41)

#3 2023-06-03 22:26:00

GMON

Re: Framework Laptop stopped booting overheated in backpack

I have documented my issue over on the r/framework subreddit aswell:

https://www.reddit.com/r/framework/comm … /-/jmsise8

Turns out this is very likely a hardware issue as the comment above pointed out to me.

Here is the relevant Framework forum thread describing the exact same issue I am having.

https://community.frame.work/t/solved-l … sues/25358

Will keep this post as "unsolved" until I get confirmation from Framework support about getting a replacement.

Board footer