You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-04 14:31:53

enbQao

[SOLVED] Weird issue with Sway, Foot-terminal and Ranger

I am using Ranger (file manager) inside a foot-Terminal window inside Sway.
Today, I noticed when I try to focus a window that has Ranger opened inside foot, whenever I focus the Sway container that contains this Foot+Ranger, a combination of "[" and "I" is sent to this window. And since "I" is the default action for renaming a file or directory, the renaming dialog is opened. This is really weird.
The following things I have observed aswell:

* When I open ranger in Alacritty, this does not happen.
* Weirdly enough, this does also not happen on other applications inside the Foot window. I would expect that when I switch to a terminal window that has only a shell opened, I would also see an input of "[I" when I switch focus to that windows. This is not the case though.
* I seems to be the combination of "[I", since when I move focus between the Ranger-Foot-window and another window a couple of times (for example by hovering my mouse back and forth), the opened "rename"-dialog inside ranger get continuous input of "[0" (lose focus) and "[I" (gain focus); i.e. after hovering back and forth, I see something like ":rename [0[I[0[I[0[I filename" inside Ranger.

I am now completely lost on what might be causing this. I have disabled the keybinding in Ranger for the meantime as a workaround, but I would like to get to the bottom of this. Does anyone have an idea how I would figure out whats going on here?

Last edited by enbQao (2023-06-05 07:23:51)

#2 2023-06-05 06:15:18

demaio
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Weird issue with Sway, Foot-terminal and Ranger

Could be related: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/78585

It happens since the upgrade of "ncurses" to 6.4_20230520-1 but I can only reproduce it with the combination of foot and ranger (or vim)

#3 2023-06-05 07:23:26

enbQao

Re: [SOLVED] Weird issue with Sway, Foot-terminal and Ranger

Thank you for your reply, great catch! Downgrading ncurses back to 6.4-1 actually leads to this behaviour not happening anymore. So it is definitely related. Since there is an open issue ticket already and you linked to that, I will mark this as SOLVED.

Board footer