You are not logged in.

#476 2023-03-22 22:53:10

Macitron

Re: aurutils - helper tools for the aur

That did it! For some reason multilib-testing had been enabled, though I don't remember doing so. It looks like the testing version of lib32-libelf was complaining about not having the testing version of libelf available. Thanks a bunch!

Alad wrote:

If pacutils has correct stdout/stderr behavior, I can use that instead. Check the output of:

pactrans --sysupgrade --print-only >/dev/null
pactrans --sysupgrade --print-only 2>/dev/null

Ran them both, >/dev/null did not output anything and 2>/dev/null did.

#477 2023-05-21 12:55:08

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

After the git migration and introduction of pkgctl with devtools 1.0.0, it is recommended to recreate all aurutils chroots and update any pacman configuration in /etc/aurutils/pacman-x86_64.conf.

rm -rf /var/lib/aurbuild
cp /usr/share/devtools/pacman.conf.d/extra.conf /etc/aurutils/pacman-x86_64.conf
vim /etc/aurutils/pacman-x86_64.conf  # add local repository

https://archlinux.org/news/git-migration-completed/

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#478 2023-05-22 12:55:55

HeptaSean

Alad wrote:

After the git migration and introduction of pkgctl with devtools 1.0.0, it is recommended to recreate all aurutils chroots and update any pacman configuration in /etc/aurutils/pacman-x86_64.conf.

rm -rf /var/lib/aurbuild
cp /usr/share/devtools/pacman.conf.d/extra.conf /etc/aurutils/pacman-x86_64.conf

https://archlinux.org/news/git-migration-completed/

I have done all of that and also reinstalled devtools, but I still get:

$ aur sync --chroot aurutils
==> Using [aur] repository
  -> aurutils (none) -> 15.2-1
==> Retrieving package files
Already up to date.
chroot: /usr/share/devtools/makepkg-x86_64.conf is not a file

Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

#479 2023-05-22 13:11:57

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Please try aurutils 15.2

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#480 2023-05-22 13:43:01

HeptaSean

Alad wrote:

Please try aurutils 15.2

Argh, thanks! Yes, that helped.

#481 2023-06-04 19:45:06

olivine

After updating my system this week-end, I can't seem to get aurutils to function properly. I've followed:

rm -rf /var/lib/aurbuild

adding this at the end of /etc/aurutils/pacman-x86_64.conf:

[aur]
SigLevel = Never
Server = file:///var/cache/pacman/aur

This got me a "/usr/share/devtools/makepkg-x86_64.conf is not a file" error, with aurutils-13.8-1. I figured I may need a more recent aurutils, so I installed version 15.3-1 manually. I now have the following error:

chroot: /var/lib/aurbuild/x86_64/root is not a directory
chroot: did you run aur chroot --create?

Pacman tells me aurutils 15.3-1 is installed, but it's clearly not there in my local database.

Did I update pacman-x86_64.conf incorrectly, or is it the aurutils upgrade that I'm messing up? Thanks in advance for any pointers!

#482 2023-06-04 20:59:34

Stefan Husmann

Please follow the advice given in #477 of this thread.

#483 2023-06-04 21:31:23

olivine

I have tried to follow thread #477:

rm -rf /var/lib/aurbuild

as mentioned in my thread. I do believe I added the local repository in /etc/aurutils/pacman-x86_64.conf as I had it in my previous setup.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something. Would you have any pointers?

#484 2023-06-05 06:54:55

olivine

I finally got it working. I'd completely botched the last step and then started going in the wrong direction due to my poor understanding of chroot and related processes.

Thanks for bearing with me.

#485 2023-06-05 19:32:17

OpusOne

Hi, updating aurutils to the very latest version (15.5) seems to make the 'aur' binary disappear altogether. Where has it gone?
Or did I miss something obvious?

Edit: I figured the problem out, which I'll explain. Apologies if this is a "newbie" issue, otherwise I think that could be worth discussing.
It turns out that I had exported the $PREFIX env. variable in the terminal session I used for updating aurutils (using 'aur sync -u'), while manually building some software, which made pacman install the updated aurutils into this $PREFIX location.
It's possibly a normal behavior, but certainly something to be careful about. At this point, I don't know if this is normal behavior for pacman, for aurutils or if this is specific to the aurutils package itself.

Last edited by OpusOne (2023-06-05 20:09:07)

#486 2023-06-05 20:04:43

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

I can't reproduce this...

% pacman -Qi aurutils | grep Version
Version         : 15.5-1
% pacman -Ql aurutils | grep /usr/bin
aurutils /usr/bin/
aurutils /usr/bin/aur

#487 2023-06-05 20:11:35

OpusOne

Alad wrote:

I can't reproduce this...

% pacman -Qi aurutils | grep Version
Version         : 15.5-1
% pacman -Ql aurutils | grep /usr/bin
aurutils /usr/bin/
aurutils /usr/bin/aur

Thanks. I just edited my post while you were replying.
So, again, apologies, as this was my fault. Still, could you answer my point about the $PREFIX env. variable? Is this expected behavior when using AUR packages (or even any pacman package for that matter?)

#488 2023-06-05 20:43:24

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

When PREFIX is set in the environment, for example by doing PREFIX=... aur-sync ..., then the aurutils Makefile will use it.

To avoid these problems, I set PREFIX and ETCPATH explicitly for the AUR package: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ … ab6dcaa147

#489 2023-06-05 21:17:16

OpusOne

Thanks for the very fast fix!
Great tool btw. Simple and effective. I had tried yay before but it was definitely not for me.

Last edited by OpusOne (2023-06-05 21:17:38)

#490 2023-06-24 13:59:27

mbw

I am thinking of migrating away from yay to giving aurutils a shot, after having asked here for some guidance.

However, aurutils assumes a local repository is used, while if I understand correctly, packages installed with yay are "foreign packages" (and printed with pacman -Qm).

How would one go about migrating these packages to be managed via this local repository instead?

I found a section "Migrating foreign packages" in the README but do not know if this explanation is still up-to-date.

Removing/Reinstalling everything would probably work, but that would be a heavy-handed solution.

#491 2023-06-24 16:03:38

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

If the packages are still in yay's cache directory you can move them to the local repository (here assumed to be in /home/custompkgs):

find ~/.cache/yay -iname '*.pkg.tar*' -execdir mv -t /home/custompkgs {} +
cd /home/custompkgs
repo-add custom.db.tar.gz *.pkg.tar*

Then pacman -Syu as usual.

Removed packages I recommend to rebuild, but you can instead use something like https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/fakepkg

#492 2023-07-03 07:11:29

mbw

Alad wrote:

If the packages are still in yay's cache directory you can move them to the local repository (here assumed to be in /home/custompkgs):

find ~/.cache/yay -iname '*.pkg.tar*' -execdir mv -t /home/custompkgs {} +
cd /home/custompkgs
repo-add custom.db.tar.gz *.pkg.tar*

Maybe I am overthinking this, but what is the convention here: Should /home/custompkgs be owned by my unpriviledged user, or by root?
Or do most people actually use something else like /home/$USER/custompkgs, or /var/cache/pacman/custompkgs?

It's just that I wouldn't intuitively expect something outside of /home/$USER to be $USER-owned.

#493 2023-07-03 09:34:22

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

The only important part is that makepkg runs as an unprivileged user, so the local repository should be owned by one. That can be your regular user, or a dedicated user; see https://github.com/AladW/aurutils/blob/ … #L472-L534

/var/cache/pacman/<repo name> is if you want to avoid having a copy of built packages in a separate directory (but has its own drawbacks).

#494 2023-07-07 06:51:57

mbw

Hey it's me again.
I'm currently trying to figure out my ideal workflow for upgrading packages and noticed that `aur repo --upgrades` includes packages which are no longer installed I think.

For example jaja11-openjfx. This is no longer tracked via `pacman -Qi`, but resides in `.cache/aurutils/sync`, has a .pkg.tar.zst in `$HOME/custompkgs` (which I subsequently `repo-add`ed) and maybe has data lying around elsewhere.
How do I cleanly remove/untrack this without having aurutils in some inconsistent state afterwards?

#495 2023-07-07 14:37:02

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

If after uninstalling a package you want to remove it from the local repository as well, you can use aur-remove. The code is listed in man aur

!/bin/sh --
# aur-remove - remove listed packages from all local repositories

if [ "$#" -eq 0 ]; then
    printf 'usage: aur remove package [package ...]\n' >&2
exit 1
fi

aur repo --list-path | while read -r repo_path; do
    repo-remove "$repo_path" "$@"
    paccache -c "${repo_path%/*}" -rvk0 "$@"
done

#496 2023-07-17 08:17:09

inittux

Thanks for aurutils Alad! I have one question though. When you use yay or paru you can see the foreign packages using pacman by querying with pacman for foreign packages.
Since with  aurutils the AUR packages get added to the sync database you get no output when doing them when having installed an AUR package with aurutils. Is there a way
to list the installed AUR packages that you built and added to your local repo using aurutils, I wasn't abled to find it in the documentation?

#497 2023-07-17 10:06:43

Lone_Wolf

Yes, pacman does have an option for that.

man pacman wrote:

SYNC OPTIONS (APPLY TO -S)

-l, --list
List all packages in the specified repositories. Multiple repositories can be specified on the command line.

$ pacman --sync --list any-repo-listed-in-pacman.conf   #long_version
$ pacman -Sl any-repo-listed-in-pacman.conf

Both commands will show exactly the same output : a list of all pacakges in the repo , their version and whether they are installed.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#498 2023-07-17 10:48:04

inittux

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Yes, pacman does have an option for that.

$ pacman --sync --list any-repo-listed-in-pacman.conf   #long_version
$ pacman -Sl any-repo-listed-in-pacman.conf

Both commands will show exactly the same output : a list of all pacakges in the repo , their version and whether they are installed.

I forgot about that one and didn't think to look for that option in the pacman man-page. Thanks for reminding me!

Last edited by inittux (2023-07-17 10:49:19)

#499 2023-09-25 17:22:51

mbw

When I call `aur sync --upgrades --no-build`, it opens vifm and shows the package contents and some `.diff` files.
Unfortunately, these .diff files are hard to read since they are created via a simple call to git-diff, which causes it to use difftastic, which I normally use.
The way this is displayed in vifm is however not suitable to make out what's going on.

Is there a way to pass the `--no-ext-diff` flag to `git-diff`, via `aur-sync` -> `aur-view` -> `git-diff`?

I would have shown a screenshot, but of course, the .diff file is not there anymore when you call `aur sync --upgrades --no-build` a second time smile

#500 2023-09-27 00:54:40

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

I suppose it depends on how you told git to use diffstatic. If you use GIT_EXTERNAL_DIFF, you can unset that variable prior to running aur-sync (e.g. with env -u). If the setting is in ~/.gitconfig, you could temporarily ignore it with GIT_CONFIG_GLOBAL=/dev/null aur sync ...

Board footer