You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-25 15:58:51

dw

xorg + gdm

hi everyone.

i just successfully installed arch. i followed the advices in the wikis on how to install the base system, upgrade it with pacman, install xorg and gnome and gnome-extra.

however, i am facing one major problem. i created an sample xorg.config file with hwd -x and tested it with X -config /path/to/my/xorg.conf.hwb. the x-server starts and i see a graphical mouse pointer. so i assume, x is working.

when i want to login to gdm (i've tried both methods: adding gdm to the deamons array in rc.conf and starting gdm via /etc/inittab), the following occurs.

a clock is displayed. nothing more. no gdm login-interface is displayed. i have no clue what to do. i've played with x-settings, re-installed gdm but i just can't login to gnome.

anyone?

#2 2006-11-25 16:13:03

lessthanjake
Website

Re: xorg + gdm

gdm stopped working for me today also, so it might not be you doing something wron. The clock you are talking about, is it the bussy-mouse-cursor? That is all that happend when I started gdm today after a update. The mouse-cursor showing up showing the bussy symbol and the rest of the screen is black. It stand like this for ever. The packages I updated was:

libgl-dri libx11 libxcb xcb-proto xorg-util-macros

But both X and Gnome are working perfectly if I start them from the console. Tried to reinstall and rebuild gdm, but it did not help.

#3 2006-11-25 16:51:51

mod24

Hi all,

just set up my first archlinux system today and having exactly the same error. Starting gnome from the console works fine, but starting gdm fails... (after killing X via ctrl+alt+backspace several times, the failsafe gdm theme is displayed anyway)...

rdrds
mod24

#4 2006-11-25 17:02:57

dw

ok, i just managed to get into gnome by not using gdm.

however. how can i login as a custom user and not as root? in order to be able to get into gnome as root, i just added  (exec gnome-session) to /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc. but how shall i do, so that i can login as another user? and is it possible to switch users?

and does anybody know why xorg doesnt use xorg.conf? i have some awkward screen-resolution even though i used the more or less my xorg.conf i had in ubuntu edgy. strange...

greetings and thanks for your answers!

#5 2006-11-25 17:09:16

lessthanjake
Website

As root, before you start X, just type
su - your_username
and then add the exec thing to your .xinitrc and run startx.

#6 2006-11-25 18:12:21

aRcHaTe

same here...updated and bye bye dgm...i had to edit .xinitrc ...

Its a sick world we live in....

#7 2006-11-25 18:20:15

Martyr
Website

Lost GDM too after updating today...

#8 2006-11-25 18:49:14

gnidam
Website

Hi all!

Martyr wrote:

Had similar trouble after upgrading libx11 (1.0.3-1 -> 1.1-1).
I tried the following and got gdm back:

Add to /opt/gnome/etc/gdm/custom.conf

[server-Standard]
name=Standard server
command=/usr/bin/X -audit 0
flexible=true

This should have priority over

command=/usr/bin/X -audit 0 +extension XEVIE

in /opt/gnome/share/gdm/defaults.conf.

Not shure, if that might introduce another problem, as this extension is probably loaded for good reason. No problems since yesterday though...

So long,
Martin

#9 2006-11-25 18:55:13

aRcHaTe

any developer that would fix this problm?

#10 2006-11-25 19:41:22

gnidam
Website

Bug report added: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/5896 - pls feel free to adjust severity, details, etc. as i'm not too sure if i got that right.

Martin

#11 2006-11-25 19:53:53

GiGaHuRtZ
Website

The problem is with libx11, you can fix it by downgrading the package from cache (if you have it), or you can just grab the earlier package off my server if you'd like.

http://www.n0yd.net/libx11-1.0.3-1.pkg.tar.gz

#12 2006-11-25 20:27:51

Martyr
Website

The problem is with libx11, you can fix it by downgrading the package from cache

Worked like a charm.

#13 2006-11-26 14:31:23

William Koch
Website

I updated Arch at work yesterday and I got the same problem. I managed to acess gnome with kdm, changing in inittab, but after this I removed arch (at work), cuz I need my computer always working there.

Maybe a good thing for arch would be to have another repo, something like 'stable', that have only really stable pkgs. Current would still be the cutting edge.

I think it would be good to have more stability, cuz I always get me thinking "Will I have time to fix something, or should I update other day?" From time to time I find something to do, never was something that could not be done, but it takes time, even more time since I know almost nothing about linux  lol .

#14 2006-11-26 15:32:21

lolo

Same here.

@gnidam : Thank you very much for the tip ! How on earth have you found it ? I have spent almost 1/2 a day wandering across google and forums, without any clue !

#15 2006-11-26 15:48:51

nightfrost

William Koch wrote:

I updated Arch at work yesterday and I got the same problem. I managed to acess gnome with kdm, changing in inittab, but after this I removed arch (at work), cuz I need my computer always working there.

Maybe a good thing for arch would be to have another repo, something like 'stable', that have only really stable pkgs. Current would still be the cutting edge.

I think it would be good to have more stability, cuz I always get me thinking "Will I have time to fix something, or should I update other day?" From time to time I find something to do, never was something that could not be done, but it takes time, even more time since I know almost nothing about linux  lol .

Well, I think the testing repository should be used instead. I mean used for real, the +1 version of xorg should always be there in testing IMO; as well as gnome development version, etc. This way problems like this (and others) would be solved before they hit current...

#16 2006-11-26 16:23:37

sebby

It worked very well for me too thanks ! smile

#17 2006-11-26 17:57:31

gnidam
Website

lolo wrote:

Same here.
@gnidam : Thank you very much for the tip ! How on earth have you found it ? I have spent almost 1/2 a day wandering across google and forums, without any clue !

Hmm... was just guessing, trying and (hopefully - that still may be a nasty workaround... i don't know) lucky. Anyway, glad i could help.

[OT] As these are my first posts to the arch-forums, just let me say: Besides the minor troubles now and then, which might occur when using a rolling release-distro, i'm really impressed about the power of "the arch way". After coming from Red Hat -> Debian -> Ubuntu -> and finally Arch, i can't tell you how much i appreciate the simplicity (which is quite important to me, as i lack any programming skills you could imagine). So big thanks to the devs and fellow users, who keep the system running! [/OT]

Regards,
    Martin

#18 2006-11-26 18:13:56

lolo

I completely agree. Archlinux is great in its philosophy and its implementation. Despite some "little" troubles now and then, it is very simple to maintain and to enrich a running system. I do not dare to imagine what the same kind of troubles would mean on other distros.

Though it is not stated in each of our messages, many thanks to the devs !

Perhaps, there will be a time to create a distro based on Arch, that would play the same role as Ubuntu or Mepis for Debian, and thus, enticing a lot more newcomers.

#19 2006-11-26 20:51:02

aRcHaTe

lolo wrote:

I completely agree. Archlinux is great in its philosophy and its implementation. Despite some "little" troubles now and then, it is very simple to maintain and to enrich a running system. I do not dare to imagine what the same kind of troubles would mean on other distros.

Though it is not stated in each of our messages, many thanks to the devs !

Perhaps, there will be a time to create a distro based on Arch, that would play the same role as Ubuntu or Mepis for Debian, and thus, enticing a lot more newcomers.

Distro based on Arch? a ubuntu look alike? i would kill my self...i love arch just the way it is...KISS dont mess it up like ubuntu...ubuntu is too comercial..screw that

#20 2006-11-27 12:46:11

Martyr
Website

OT again...  8)

GDM keeps hanging, even after today's -Suy.  You can kill it with multiple Ctrl Alt Backspaces, then it will revert to the default greeter, and you can login.

I'm using the Happy Gnome theme btw, nothing fancy.

Downgrading libx11 is the most elegant option for now IMO.

HTH.

#21 2006-11-27 13:31:05

noriko
Website

the problem u r seeign is caused by the a bug i think...
basically, libexec/gdmgreeter doesn't have the same version as the daemon

i don't hve time right now, but i will try to file a buf report later, unless someone wants to help me out here ...

it's basically what i said above,
as output by gdmgreeter

The greeter version (2.16.3) does not match the daemon version. You have probably just upgraded GDM. Please restart the GDM daemon or the computer.

which makes no sense to me, because

[root@athlin bin]# /opt/gnome/sbin/gdm-binary --version
GDM 2.16.3

xS

u can get pass it by, switching to aother v/c [alt]+[ctrl]+1
and issuing the command,

/etc/rc.d/gdm stop && startx

the above assumes u have /opt/gnome/bin/gnome-session n ur ~/.xinitrc

or simply, when gdm starts the mouse will be dispalyed, kill x [alt]+[ctrl]+[backspace] until it responds, it takes only 2 kills for me, it then replies with a messgae "gdmgreeter is crashing,trying to use another greeter" or something like that.

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

#22 2006-11-27 13:50:32

kastor
Website

gnidam wrote:

Hi all!

Martyr wrote:

Had similar trouble after upgrading libx11 (1.0.3-1 -> 1.1-1).
I tried the following and got gdm back:

Add to /opt/gnome/etc/gdm/custom.conf

[server-Standard]
name=Standard server
command=/usr/bin/X -audit 0
flexible=true

This should have priority over

command=/usr/bin/X -audit 0 +extension XEVIE

in /opt/gnome/share/gdm/defaults.conf.

Not shure, if that might introduce another problem, as this extension is probably loaded for good reason. No problems since yesterday though...

So long,
Martin

works great for me smile thanx

#23 2006-11-27 16:36:26

aRcHaTe

well what a tryed beaside messing with arch configs...was..first install ONLY gnome and xorg before a full update..all worked fine!!! no problms there...but wgehn i install  the meta package gnome-extra....puff...all goes off...no gdm...somebody try and see for your self...it doesent make sense..not for me...

#24 2006-11-27 17:29:35

lemon

nightfrost wrote:

Well, I think the testing repository should be used instead. I mean used for real, the +1 version of xorg should always be there in testing IMO; as well as gnome development version, etc. This way problems like this (and others) would be solved before they hit current...

Agree, it seems like everytime I do a pacman -Syu the system bugs up in some way. I don't use the testing repository because I want a stable system, but it seems like current = testing...

#25 2006-11-27 20:40:32

Pudge
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Just upgraded to libx11 1.1-2 and it fixed my gdm problems.

Thanks devs.

Pudge

Board footer