You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-20 15:50:20

mwohah

[DUPLICATE] Delays on application start on Wayland with NVIDIA driver

I have a hybrid GPU setup with an Intel iGPU and an NVIDIA 3050 Ti dGPU and am using the NVIDIA proprietary driver 535.86.05 on GNOME 44 with Wayland. Everything's working as expected, but for a while I've noticed that there are delays of a few seconds starting some applications. It happens for a select few applications, including BlackBox and Nautilus, which all happen to be GTK4 applications. It also doesn't happen continually, i.e. the first time you have the 'hit', you can open more windows without this delay, or even the first window again for a few seconds after closing the application.

I managed to capture a sysprof when this happens, and it seems that nv_pmops_runtime_resume and rm_transition_dynamic_power are taking the most time when this happens. This seems to imply that the NVIDIA dGPU is resuming or transitioning to a higher power state, which can make sense since GTK4 applications are hardware-accelerated IIRC, but what's strange is that these applications aren't even running on the NVIDIA dGPU; these are all on the Intel iGPU, so I don't understand why the NVIDIA GPU is constantly needing to transition itself up and down if it's not being asked to do any rendering. FWIW there also aren't any monitors connected to the NVIDIA GPU.

Does anyone have similar issues? I'd be fine with reporting this upstream, but wanted to ask here first in case there is something else I might be missing or this is expected due to some reason I can't see.

Thanks!

Last edited by mwohah (2023-07-21 08:52:52)

#2 2023-07-20 15:57:13

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [DUPLICATE] Delays on application start on Wayland with NVIDIA driver

There was a thread on this and a environment variable you can export to influence the loading order of the GL driver so that mesa is generally picked before the nvidia card... Now to find said thread...

Ah wasn't too bad: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p2094847

Fixing this might be worth a packaging suggestion if it can be fixed simply with adjusting the number prefix.

Last edited by V1del (2023-07-20 16:00:02)

#3 2023-07-20 18:46:50

mwohah

Thanks a bunch for the suggestion. So far changing the priority/number prefix of the files seems to help, but I'll do some more testing in the coming days to know for sure.

This also has the positive side-effect of removing the gnome-shell process that uses 1 MB of VRAM from nvidia-smi that I always thought existed because GNOME needed a process on each GPU for some technical reason.

If it turns out to work, I'll consider creating a package issue - I hope changing the order won't have unintended side-effects for other GPU configurations.

#4 2023-07-21 08:53:50

mwohah

The fix from the other thread also fixes the issue for me for most applications, but not all - in any case I'm now pretty positive that it is the same issue. I marked the post as a duplicate and will follow up in the other thread with updates to keep the discussion centralized, thanks!

Board footer