You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-30 09:22:25

mjolk

linux-6.4.7.arch1-1and btrfs root partition

After the last kernel update my machine just stopped working failing to mount the root btrfs partition. Dropping to rootfs and non working keyboard.
Downgrading kernel to previous iteration fixed it.

Just putting it out there in case others experience the same issue. Or to prevent people form having to conjure up an arch boot image to fix this.
I don't know what caused it but i'm guessing it's btrfs related because otherwise there would have been more hits on this topic when i was searching for information.

If this is the wrong place to put this info, my apologies.

#2 2023-07-30 09:50:53

xerxes_

Re: linux-6.4.7.arch1-1and btrfs root partition

Can you post full journalctl log from that failed boot ("journalctl -b-n" where n is number of boot before current boot which is 0) ?

You can see list of available boot logs by command: 'journalctl --list-boots' and compare it with list of boots: 'last | less'.

Last edited by xerxes_ (2023-07-30 09:54:14)

#3 2023-07-30 17:20:58

mjolk

Since it couldn't mount the root partition i'd be surprised if that would yield anything.
I took a cursory glance and no these failed boot events aren't recorded as far as i can see.
The one thing that caught my eye was this:kernel: BTRFS warning (device nvme0n1p3): devid 1 physical 0 len 4194304 inside the reserved space
If that is a problem in the latest kernel...
But to be fair it might also have nothing to do with it at all which is the biggest possibility.

I am convinced though that it has something to do with having btrfs as root partition. And probably something with systemd (hehe)

EDIT:
i just upgraded another machine running btrfs to 6.4.7 and it reboots without any problems. This sucks now i'm gonna have to figure this out.

Last edited by mjolk (2023-08-01 15:23:36)

#4 2023-08-01 16:22:42

xerxes_

Maybe when you upgraded first machine, your boot was not mounted and kernel was updated, but not kernel modules?

Last edited by xerxes_ (2023-08-01 16:23:00)

#5 2023-08-01 20:18:15

mjolk

I have no idea what it was.
did some btrfs balancing
updated, reboot, black screen no keyboard.
hit the power cycle, boots, comes up (yay), one of my 2 screens refuses to do anything (even the built in menu wouldn't come up), had to unplug it then when i reconnected it to power it came back up,
Very weird shit. In the meantime i flashed bios with the latest etc and everything works fine again.

edit: so it probably wasn't software related but something with this specific machine, probably something firmware related that didn't get properly propagated.

Last edited by mjolk (2023-08-01 20:22:56)

#6 2023-08-01 20:51:18

StreakyCobra

I got a similar issue after a system update today. Following reboot the keyboard was not working when prompted to enter the LUKS password. On the LTS kernel (6.1.39) the keyboard was working so I went ahead and downgraded the main kernel to 6.4.4. This fixed the issue with the keyboard, and just to be sure it was not an issue with the initramfs generation (mkinitcpio) I did again the upgrade to 6.4.7 but finally went back to 6.4.4 as the keyboard was confirmed not to be working on 6.4.7.

I'm also on BTRFS but I was not able to enter the decryption password on 6.4.7 so I can not confirm the issue with this part. I already have a keyboard issue during the initramfs part so I don't think BTRFS is related here, there may be 2 problems at play:

- A kernel issue making the keyboard not working
- A kernel issue with BTRFS (can not confirm that on my side)

The first issue may be hardware-dependent so dropping my laptop model here in case it's helpful: Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 ProX 14ARH7 (AMD)

#7 2023-08-03 02:32:28

LRAD

StreakyCobra wrote:

I got a similar issue after a system update today. Following reboot the keyboard was not working when prompted to enter the LUKS password. On the LTS kernel (6.1.39) the keyboard was working so I went ahead and downgraded the main kernel to 6.4.4. This fixed the issue with the keyboard, and just to be sure it was not an issue with the initramfs generation (mkinitcpio) I did again the upgrade to 6.4.7 but finally went back to 6.4.4 as the keyboard was confirmed not to be working on 6.4.7.

I'm also on BTRFS but I was not able to enter the decryption password on 6.4.7 so I can not confirm the issue with this part. I already have a keyboard issue during the initramfs part so I don't think BTRFS is related here, there may be 2 problems at play:

- A kernel issue making the keyboard not working
- A kernel issue with BTRFS (can not confirm that on my side)

The first issue may be hardware-dependent so dropping my laptop model here in case it's helpful: Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 ProX 14ARH7 (AMD)

I have the same laptop with the same issue and I switched to the LTS kernel for now. Here is a bug report for the regression  https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=217718

Board footer