You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-15 17:07:46

Jocomol
Website

[Solved] Systemctl daemons unable to access gnome-keyring?

I've recently bought a new laptop on which, after I learned that it is optimal to have a secret service, I installed gnome-keyring which solved a multitude of issues I experienced with my earlier setup. Unfortunately the change also caused one error which makes me unable to recieve my email. I am using https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/prot … idge-nogui to sync with my protonmail account. protonmail-bridge needs access to a secret-service or pass. In my latests setups I used pass and all worked well. It also works well when I start the bridge explicitely from my CLI. But whenever I start the supplied daemon, I get the error message that the secret-service could not be used "Failed to add test credentials to keychain". Unfortunately I also seem to be unable to find out how to force this daemon to use pass instead of the installed secret-service.

Now my questions:
- Is it normal for systemd daemons to be unable to access the secret-service? If yes how can I work around this?
- What would be the solution for this specific issue?

I am glad to get some help and I am happy to post more infos or debug files.

Thank you

Last edited by Jocomol (2023-08-25 15:17:45)

#2 2023-08-15 17:18:28

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: [Solved] Systemctl daemons unable to access gnome-keyring?

are you starting the bridge.service as a user service ?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd/User may be helpful.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2023-08-15 17:19:16)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2023-08-15 18:18:57

Jocomol
Website

I've skipped through the titles of the article but couldn't find anything which could help me. Do you have a specific section in mind?

#4 2023-08-15 18:41:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

It's not a long page.  The whole thing applies.  You need to run your mail service as a user service not a system service.  (okay, really sections 1-3 as everything after that is specific examples / troubleshooting.  Note that your use case is listed in the second sentence on that page.)

Last edited by Trilby (2023-08-15 18:43:31)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2023-08-15 18:45:45

Jocomol
Website

Sorry I forgot to mention that, yes I am using it as a user service and not a system service. I was hoping to find something under 2.1 Environment variables but found nothing applicable. In the meantime I think I got it to work via pass by setting the password-store env var which would solve the issue for me but I still would be interested why the daemon wasn't able to use the gnome-keyring.

#6 2023-08-15 22:42:44

ayekat

Jocomol wrote:

"Failed to add test credentials to keychain".

Is there more than that (a reason or something) in the error message? Could you please post the full logs for the service when it starts up (and fails)?

Does your systemd user instance have DISPLAY set?

systemctl --user show-environment

If yes, does the problem appear if you start the service manually, or only if you enable the service to auto-start with your systemd user instance?

(note: I'm currently suspecting what's described here)

pkgshackscfgblag

#7 2023-08-16 17:33:27

Jocomol
Website

sytemctl --user show-environment: http://0x0.st/HLmY.txt

The problem appears in every case when bridge is started as a service

Board footer