You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-10 17:09:40

vie

ERROR: device 'UUID=<uuid>' not found. Skipping fsck.

My laptop's charge reached zero and it shut down. When I charged it and started again, it gave me this error. When I boot from arch livecd, lsblk does not show my SSD, it only shows /dev/sda (which is my flash drive) and /run/loop0, so I can not even mount disk.

#2 2023-09-10 17:46:54

ewaller
Administrator

Re: ERROR: device 'UUID=<uuid>' not found. Skipping fsck.

Sounds like the configuration memory has gone pear shaped. My guess is that it is a static RAM that is backed up by a lithium primary battery.  It sounds like that battery is dead, and when the secondary (rechargeable) battery ran all the way down there was nothing left to hold up the contents of the static RAM.

You might go into the pre-boot menu (Some people still call it the BIOS menu, even though most systems are no longer BIOS based).   From there, you are going to need to look around for SATA configurations, perhaps even PCI-e configurations.  There may be an option to return to factory defaults.  Be sure you know how to turn Secure Boot off if it gets turned back on.  I once (briefly) had an HP laptop that could only turn of Secure Boot from inside Windows.   In any event, if you can find a setting that causes that drive to appear while in the pre-boot environment, you should be good to go.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2023-09-10 18:24:11

vie

Strange, I can not find any SATA/PCI-e mentions in the pre-boot menu, nowhere. I don't know what else to do..

#4 2023-09-10 18:51:18

ewaller
Administrator

Is there a restore factory defaults?

Is your battery removable?  If so, remove it and unplug your system, and go have a cup of coffee.  After several minutes, reconnect the external power supply and boot.  See if that clears things up.  If so, then put the battery back in.  The only reason I leave the battery out is I think the external supply is more stable.

If those don't work, we may need to extract the drive and check it.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer