You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-08 10:24:12

Wrona777

[SOLVED] Arch+Whonix+VirtualBox - how to netctl

Hello all,

I quite dont understand. On wiki about installing Arch for Whonix on VirtualBox is stated how to set network with netctl. I understand that wiki is little outdated as for now there is no netctl on Arch Iso.

I tried with systemd-networkd but failed. I will try again, but maybe there is other way to accomplish this. Manual installation? Maybe two interfaces and installing netctl by this and then continue with whonix-gateway (but dont i lose anonomity by that? logs etc). Or properly setting systemd-networkd or it must be netctl?

Some of you tried this lastly? Thansk for help in advance.

Last edited by Wrona777 (2023-09-10 20:34:35)

#2 2023-09-08 16:54:10

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Arch+Whonix+VirtualBox - how to netctl

Understand that the virtual machine has virtual network interfaces.   The VM does not have any visibility of the network interfaces that belong to the host.  The Virtual machine has no WiFi interface,

On the host, there is a virtual network connection that is the other end of the virtual network connection in the virtual machine.   Virtualbox provides multiple ways for the host to deal with that virtual interface.  It generally provides a DHCP server to provide the guest an IP address. It can be bridged to one of the host's interfaces.  The host can keep it private and not provide routing to the Internet for the guest. Or, it can provide NAT forwarding for the guest.   If I remember correctly, Virtualbox generally provides a bridge.

Inside the guest, all you probably need to do is run dhcpcd as root.  You should get an address from the virtual DHCP server provided by the host for your "wired" virtual network.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2023-09-10 09:42:54

Wrona777

ello ewaller,

you quite dont understand me. i know everyting what you stated.

what i struggle is, as posted in here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Whonix in step 3.2. Connecting to internet during Arch install, is that i need to 'cp /etc/netctl/examples/ethernet-static /etc/netctl/whonix' as this is "Next we must configure the static network connection to use the values shown above. Perhaps the easiest way is to copy the static example file:"

I have pointed arch install iso to: "Settings > Network > Attached to > Internal Network > Whonix to select networking through Whonix.".

So, what I missing is 'how to point arch install to static address' without netctl. As I done it with networkd-systemd and it isn't work. But I trying. I will post later if i will figure it out.

Cheers

#4 2023-09-10 20:33:58

Wrona777

hm i think it  works as expected with systemd-networkd but ping command doesn't work so i thought that network doesn't work. but pacstrap works so i mark this post as solved.

#5 2023-09-12 13:21:01

Wrona777

As additional data I can post that ping doesn’t work due to that ICMP traffic is not proxied and it is filtered by Whonix Firewall ( /usr/bin/whonix_firewall ) because Tor does not support UDP.

So if some will be read this in future and will follow Arch Installation Wiki don’t try to check if network connection works by trying to ping. Just use pacstrap to test if connection works.

And I stayed with systemd-networkd as it works ok so don’t see reason for netclt as in installation guide.

Board footer