You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-02 21:00:15

desertViking

Upgrade to Testing, Hard disk failures

I've upgraded to the new kernel in testing.  I made the necessary changes from "hd?" to "sd?" in menu.lst and fstab.  I am longer able to boot.  This following reflect a boot to the fallback image.

I receive a list of "Buffer I/O error on device sda2" where sda2 is where my home directories are located.

System then responds with

IP-Config: no devices to configure
kinit: mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
init: version 2.86 booting

Once it gets to checking the file system, it hangs, and give me the "filesystem check failed" box, and asks me to perform maintenance.
When I give the root password, I mount /dev/sda2, and it attaches to home.  When I change to /home, I see

EXT3-fs error (device sda2): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block -...
ls: cannot access <dir>: Input/output error

I then umount /home, and fsck /dev/sda2 and get a ton of inode errors where it asks me if I want to ignore the error.  I've tried the auto "yes" feature of fsck, but after 10 minutes or so, it's still streaming errors.
I can access other directories on the disk, but I'm not sure in how much detail.
So, how screwed am I?!

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#2 2006-12-04 12:39:57

timtux
Website

Re: Upgrade to Testing, Hard disk failures

The same problem as i got, well, downgrade to the current version of pacman.

I did it this way to downgrade:
Booted an livecd, mounted hda3 (my / ), downloaded the pkg for the old kernel to / .
Edited /etc/fstab /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/mkinitcpio.conf back to old.
Fired up archlinux cd and booted into my system with the kernel on the disk, pacman --upgrade kernel.pkg.tar.gz
Rebooted, downgraded the other testing pkgs also.

http://timtux.net/ - my personal blog about almost everything

Board footer