You are not logged in.

#1 2023-10-04 21:36:50

hexdump

[Solved] Gnome seems to be overwriting my keymap configuration

Hi,

I have finished several Arch Linux installations and I am in the process of creating my own custom installation script. It is almost finished but I have an issue with gnome overwriting (It's an assumption) the configuration applied by my script.

I have spent last 3 days trying everything on the wiki. From trying to set up it using xorg configuration files, /etc/xprofile, /etc/xinitrc and their home dir counterparts, localectl and setxkbmap.

The only thing that really works is setting the keymap through setxkbmap but it works when I do it in console (after gnome has loaded). I have tried to add the command to ~/.xinitrc and ~/.xprofile to make it persistent and it did not work either.

So, I'm a bit out of ideas and really tired of this because I want to start configuring other things and you know, spending 3 days only trying to configure the keyboard is not the best thing in the world.

I know I could use the Gnome configuratoin panel to easily change the layout but I want to do it from my installation script.

I have tried to use gsettings from install script to set the keymap, but it seems to onlywork when gnome is loaded up, so... no luck either.

I would really appreciate if anyone could help here.

P.D1: when gdm is loaded (the display manager) keyboard is ok smile.
P.D2: Localectl output:

System Locale: LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
VC Keymap: es
X11 Layout: es

P.D3: $XDG_SESSION_TYPE is X11

Cheers!

Last edited by hexdump (2023-10-05 20:43:34)

#2 2023-10-05 06:13:27

seth

Re: [Solved] Gnome seems to be overwriting my keymap configuration

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GNOME/ … rd_options

I know I could use the Gnome configuratoin panel to easily change the layout but I want to do it from my installation script.

In order to not mess around in random $HOMEs you'd have to provide a pre-fabbed .config/dconf/user in /etc/skel

#3 2023-10-05 07:51:09

hexdump

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer.

I can't try this out until I get home but, in 1.3 it states to use dconf-editor gui tool but as I said I want to set the keybmap permanently from my install script and it is running from the tty. Am I missing anything?

Cheers!

#4 2023-10-05 08:04:11

seth

There's a dconf CLI tool and as mentiond: that approach is a dead end to begin with.
You forge a  .config/dconf/user and use your install script to place that in /etc/skel - otherwise you're not affecting users that will typically be created *after* the installation.

#5 2023-10-05 14:30:31

hexdump

Yup, that worked! thanks a lot! I was close using the gsettings during script installation trying to do exactly this but not being running gnome in the background seemed no to take effect.

At last I can have my layout smile.

Thanks!

#6 2023-10-05 15:20:54

seth

\o/
Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.

Board footer