You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-22 23:55:46

morganfshirley

Using the stylus prevents input in Xournal++ and other programs

My device is a Lenovo Ideapad, which has a touchscreen that can be used with a battery-powered stylus, similar to a graphics tablet. I am encountering an issue where, in some applications, using the stylus disables input until focus is switched. This is a new problem: I have had this laptop since early 2020 and have not encountered this bug until this week, although it may have existed before then.

I first noticed this problem in Xournal++. Xournal++ will correctly detect the presence of the stylus: if I hover the stylus over the touchscreen, the cursor will change from the standard cursor to a small dot that follows the movement of the stylus, which is the expected behavior. At this point, moving the stylus away will return the cursor to normal and I can continue using the application without issue. However, as soon as I touch the touchscreen with the stylus, the cursor remains stuck as a small dot. It will not draw anything (usually; sometimes the first stroke will work but never the second). Furthermore, I am no longer able to click anything (although using both the touchpad and the stylus will move the cursor). If I switch focus away from Xournal++ and then back (for example, pressing the meta key twice or Alt+Tab), everything works again.

This does not seem to be a problem with the input driver. I can draw in the "Test Settings" area of GNOME control center's Wacom Tablet menu. I can use the stylus to click and drag in Firefox, gedit, Thunderbird, and the terminal app. It even works for drawing in the program "drawing"! The stylus can navigate the desktop environment. When libinput's debug events mode is on, it logs pen down/pen up events when I reproduce the steps above in Xournal++ and no errors are shown.

However, the problem is not isolated to Xournal++. I have also observed this problem in Discord and keepass. This makes me think that there is some library shared between these applications that is causing the issue, but I was unable to find something used only by the problematic ones and not the ones that work.

I know for a fact that Xournal++ worked with the stylus as of June this year. I tried downgrading the xournalpp package to version 1.1.3 but the problem persisted.

I would appreciate any ideas! Let me know if some debug output would be helpful but, like I said, everything seems to look good on the system end.

Board footer