You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-09 18:40:08

Zyx
Website

/var/lib/pacman/current removed by one of packages

Hi everyone,

A couple of minutes ago I discovered a horrible thing in my Arch Linux: one of the packages... removed the /var/lib/pacman/current content and was extracted there instead. The only sure fact I know is that this package is "xcursor-polar". I don't even know, when this exactly happened. Just a couple of days ago I was installing "wine" and everything worked. The "xcursor" package must have been installed while resolving some dependencies, because I've never heard of it so far (and I've never modified this part of my HDD on my own smile).

I was looking for some topics with similar problems on this forum and I think I must reinstall all my packages from the "current" repository. Probably I'll write a script that reads the /var/cache/pacman directory and installs the package, if it belongs to "current". I have a question: what should I pay attention to? I suppose I must do backup of at least /etc directory...

And a small feature request for pacman: please add an option to make backups of /var/lib/pacman directory and to restore them smile)).

#2 2006-12-10 02:58:26

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: /var/lib/pacman/current removed by one of packages

/var/lib/pacman/current isn't critical - it's overwritten every time you do a pacman -Sy. This directory contains the latest sync from the current repo - /var/lib/pacman/local contains all your locally installed stuff.  You don't have to reinstall anything, it'll get fixed when you do your next pacman -Sy

#3 2006-12-10 13:36:50

yankees26

Re: /var/lib/pacman/current removed by one of packages

Like Cerebral said, current gets overwritten with every pacman -Sy; /var/lib/pacman/local is what you have to worry about losing 'cause when that happens, THEN you have to reinstall everything.  And I believe that you'd have to go through pacman's log, not the cache (unless you have never cleared it).

Board footer