You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-21 04:14:22

voodoochild

What should "esp" be when installing GRUB?

According to the GRUB wiki page https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRUB, the command to install grub is:

`grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=esp --bootloader-id=GRUB`

Where, esp is the mount point of the ESP partition. I mounted the ESP at /mnt/boot. However, /mnt refers to the temporary iso fs. I'm assuming I should specify "esp" as "/boot", since, strictly speaking that's where the ESP should actually be mounted, since at this point I have chrooted into the "/mnt" directory. Should I set the efi directory to "/mnt/boot" or just "/boot"?

#2 2023-12-21 04:41:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: What should "esp" be when installing GRUB?

If the esp is mounted at /mnt/boot then you are in the live environment, not an installed system or chroot, and you should not run grub-install in such a case.

If you have in fact chrooted, then the esp is no longer at /mnt/boot but is now at /boot - this is the whole point of a chroot.  You could confirm this by checking the output of the command `mount`.

Or in other words, if you have indeed properly chrooted, you shoudl specify the esp as /boot as that's precisely where it is.

Last edited by Trilby (2023-12-21 04:42:37)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2023-12-24 01:09:31

voodoochild

Re: What should "esp" be when installing GRUB?

Makes sense, thanks!

Board footer