You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-04 14:51:09

musbur

[SOLVED] Pacman and pacstrap can't verify any package

Hello,

I'm a bit stumped because I've installed some arch systems from this USB thumb drive before and never had any problems. I'm following the installation guide, but when it comes to the pacstrap execution, things go sideways. All packages are downloaded but fail with this error message:

error: archlinux-keyring: signature from "..." is unknown trust

I tried pacman -S archlinux-keyring, but it fails with the same message after download.

The install image is from October 2023. Is this already too old? I currently cannot download and burn a new installation image (I'm on a Windows machine w/o admin access).

Thanks!

Last edited by musbur (2024-01-05 13:18:30)

#2 2024-01-04 15:00:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Pacman and pacstrap can't verify any package

musbur wrote:

I tried pacman -S archlinux-keyring, but it fails with the same message after download.

You'll need `pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring` within the live system.

The iso you are using is too old to be just used as-is, but the above command should be sufficient to be back on track.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2024-01-04 15:22:31

musbur

Trilby wrote:
musbur wrote:

You'll need `pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring` within the live system.

The iso you are using is too old to be just used as-is, but the above command should be sufficient to be back on track.

No, it doesn't work. This has me a bit worried because it means that I need to keep downloading new ISO images every few weeks just in case I need to setup or rescue a system. It also means that if I forget to upgrade a system for a couple of months it ends up in a non-upgradeable state because all keys are expired. Like I said, the installation image is just three months old.

If this is true, it's insane. I refuse to believe it. There must be something else going on (in another thread I saw that it might have to do with an out of sync system clock. I checked that).

#4 2024-01-04 15:55:23

musbur

I got it to work now. I had to do two things that are not mentioned in the installation instructions:

1) pacman-key --init (I already had that figured out)
2) pacman-key --populate

This apparently downloaded the correct keys and allowed me to successfully run pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring and pacstrap.

I wonder why the installation guide makes no mention of this. Is this something that was made "more automatic" in the meantime?

#5 2024-01-04 16:22:17

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

What was the pacstrap command you were using?  Did it include the -K flag?

As for upgrading older installations you are drastically overstating the problem.  On an actual installed system, there can certainly be hurdles to updating if it has been left without updates for many months, but in the worst case scenario there one would only need to do a incremental update via the archlinux archive server first.  The live iso is a very different situation as in most cases, one may not have enough ram space to actually update the live system - so different steps are needed to just get a current set of keys.

Last edited by Trilby (2024-01-04 16:23:50)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2024-01-05 13:18:12

musbur

Trilby wrote:

What was the pacstrap command you were using?  Did it include the -K flag?

With or without -K, same thing.

Trilby wrote:

As for upgrading older installations you are drastically overstating the problem.

Glad to hear it, but I'm not surprised. Like I said, I refused to believe that it was really that bad.

Trilby wrote:

The live iso is a very different situation as in most cases, one may not have enough ram space to actually update the live system - so different steps are needed to just get a current set of keys.

In my case, "pacman-key --populate" did the trick.

Board footer