You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-06 18:24:50

archuser6

Mirror sites can't be resolved when trying to install from live medium

I'm doing a new install, and everything was going fine until I reached the point where I start to install packages from the mirror sites.  Here's what I see:

> pacstrap -K /mnt  base linux  linux-firmware
>
> core.db failed to download.
> error: failed retrieving file core.db from mirrors.lug.mtu.edu.  Could not resolve host: mirrors.lug.mtu.edu

This message repeats for each site in my mirror list.

My network is connected and DNS is working, since I can successfully manually ping the mirrors sites as well as other random sites (google.com, yahoo.com, etc). Also I checked my LAN status (wired ethernet) and it showed that DHCP assigned a valid address and the interface is up and running (no surprise since I have no trouble pinging the mirrors).

But I don't understand why name resolution fails when I try to use pacstrap to retrieve files from the mirror sites.  I've read that sometimes people have to turn off IPV6 addressing, but I don't think that applies here since I'm working off the live installation medium. 

Any ideas?

Thanks.

#2 2024-01-07 03:04:42

Wayfly

Re: Mirror sites can't be resolved when trying to install from live medium

Maybe you can try to add this to the hosts file

# echo 141.219.188.21 mirrors.lug.mtu.edu >> /etc/hosts
$ source /etc/hosts 

I'm not sure it'll work. But it doesn't work you can try to use other mirrors station. I hope it works and that is helps big_smile

Compared to a star, we are like mayflies, fleeting ephemeral creatures who live out their whole lives in the course of a single day.

#3 2024-01-07 08:30:40

seth

I don't think that applies here since I'm working off the live installation medium.

What would that matter?

ip a; ip r
getent ahostsv4 mirrors.lug.mtu.edu
getent ahostsv6 mirrors.lug.mtu.edu
ping -c1 mirrors.lug.mtu.edu
ping -4 -c1 mirrors.lug.mtu.edu
ping -6 -c1 mirrors.lug.mtu.edu

mirrors.lug.mtu.edu specifically doesn't have an AAAA record, so you should not be able to IPv6 ping it.

#4 2024-01-07 18:30:34

archuser6

seth wrote:

What would that matter?

What I meant is that since I'm using a live installation medium that's designed to work without requiring modifications, I shouldn't have to worry about IPV4 vs. IPV6.  And you're right, the mirror sites in my list are all IPV4 anyway.

At this point I'm still stuck, I can't see anything wrong with my routing table, my LAN interface, etc. I don't understand why it's only the mirror sites that don't resolve for me.  As stated previously I have no trouble pinging many other sites.

I'm tempted to download a new copy of the live install.  I have no reason to believe the one I've been using is corrupt (I verified its signature, looked OK).  But I've run out of ideas here.

#5 2024-01-07 18:34:18

seth

I shouldn't have to worry about IPV4 vs. IPV6.

Yes "should" …

If your IPv4 stack is broken and you only get IPv6 leases or vv. it doesn't help what the install iso might be designed for.
Please post the output for the above commands, you can link a screenshot if you cannot upload them to eg. 0x0.st.
Otherwise
You can redirect the outputs into a file and upload that:

( ip a; ip r; getent ahostsv4 mirrors.lug.mtu.edu; getent ahostsv6 mirrors.lug.mtu.edu; ping -c1 mirrors.lug.mtu.edu; ping -4 -c1 mirrors.lug.mtu.edu; ping -6 -c1 mirrors.lug.mtu.edu ) > /tmp/stuff
cat /tmp/stuff | curl -F 'file=@-' 0x0.st

#6 2024-01-08 00:54:07

archuser6

The results of the commands you requested are here:

http://0x0.st/HIzB.txt

Last edited by archuser6 (2024-01-08 00:54:39)

#7 2024-01-08 07:52:40

seth

inet 192.168.0.169/24 metric 100 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global dynamic enp0s31f6

You've an IPv4 lease on the wired network and a LL on IPv6, a weird routing table w/ extra entries for the gateway and the google DNS IPs and mirror.osbeck.com is resolved perfectly on both stacks

The IPv6 ping fails, apparently w/o an "network unreachable" error(?) - if libcurl resolves the IPv6 pacstrap will fail.
Add "ipv6.disable=1" to the kernel parameters when booting.

#8 2024-01-08 18:13:27

archuser6

seth wrote:

Add "ipv6.disable=1" to the kernel parameters when booting.

I tried that but I'm still seeing the same problem.
Here's an updated link showing the latest results (and the updated kernel parm as reported by dmesg on the last lines).

https://0x0.st/HI83.txt

Thanks.

#9 2024-01-08 21:27:12

seth

=========================================================
result from pacstrap -K / base linux linux-firmware

=========================================================

So

error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.osbeck.com : Could not resolve host: mirror.osbeck.com

is gone now?

pacstrap is a shell script, edit it and replace

pacman_args=()

with

pacman_args=(--debug  -v)

Board footer