You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-27 18:25:50

justdanyul

btrfs, snapper and grub questions

Hi all

I'm planning a new build, and I wan't to give btrfs a spin. What I'd like achieve is the following

- I'd like to have snapper take snapshots of home and root separately
- I'd like the snapper-pac integration to make snapshots as install and remove packages from the system using pacman

Now, what im not sure about, if I'd like(or need) the grub-btrfs package. The problem I am hoping to solve is the following. In the case of a broken system that doesn't boot, I'd like to

- I would like to be able to boot into an older snapshot of root
- I would like to be able to rollback to this older snapshot if I confirm that this older snapshot is in good state

It seems like the Btrfs-grub integration is the way to go, but, I do have some confusion

- if we boot into a writable version of an old snapshot, and snapper automatically creates a snapshot whilst im booted into this earlier snapshot, will I loose the changes in-between the earlier snapshot I am booted into and the current snapshot?
- alternatively, if we boot into a read-only version of an earlier snapshot, im guessing we can we use snapper rollback to make this version the current version?
- is there a way of limiting how many snapshot entries we keep in the grub menu?
- am I reading the documentation of grub-btrfs correctly? Does grub need to be reinstalled every time a snapshot is build?

Last edited by justdanyul (2023-12-27 18:26:51)

#2 2024-01-05 20:45:00

spychodelics

Re: btrfs, snapper and grub questions

Hi, funny, just bought a new ssd to do the same thing...

as i interpret the doc of grub-btrfs, only the config file needs to be updated when a snapshot is taken so that grub knows which snapshots are available

#3 2024-01-12 19:11:44

justdanyul

Re: btrfs, snapper and grub questions

spychodelics wrote:

Hi, funny, just bought a new ssd to do the same thing...

as i interpret the doc of grub-btrfs, only the config file needs to be updated when a snapshot is taken so that grub knows which snapshots are available

After re-reading, I recon you are right.

Board footer