You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-20 12:52:05

CommanderRedYT

PD Charging not / poorly working when OS is booted

I have a Lenovo ThinkBook 15p G2 ITH. It has a Thunderbolt port which does support PD charging, and a rectangle lenovo port.
I have noticed some weird USB-C PD behavior when I want to charge my laptop. I tested it with multiple chargers and docks, and this is what I found:

• Anker 100W PD supply: Not charging

• MacBook Charger (i think 96W): Charging without problems

• Fancy Dell Monitors that charge laptop over the USB-C cable: Charging without problems

• Dell Thunderbolt Dock: Starts charging after 0s up to one hour. (It is random how long one has to wait until it starts charging)

• Lenovo Thunderbolt 4 Workstation Dock: Starts charging after couple of minutes up to one hour. (It is random how long one has to wait until it starts charging)

What I also noticed was that when the system is shut down, both the Dell and the Lenovo Dock charge the laptop without a problem (~ 1s-2s until it starts)

I already ran fwupd for both my laptop and both of the docks. I tried multiple cables, but that did not change anything. I am not sure what the status is under windows.
I suspect it is a driver issue as it is working fine when the laptop is powered off, but then again, if windows also has this issue I might be wrong (or not)

#2 2024-01-21 19:43:23

CommanderRedYT

Re: PD Charging not / poorly working when OS is booted

Update: The Anker 100W PD supply also works, but it too either takes a lot of time or has to be plugged in when shut down first.

#3 2024-01-21 21:46:27

V1del
Forum Moderator

I recently had similar troubles with a Lenovo. Turns out there's some firmware internal "Airplane mode" that can only be toggled from Windows with their "Lenovo Vantage" software and it actually prevents/adjusts the charging behaviour not unlike what you saw. If you still have access to a Windows install, I'd double check that.

Last edited by V1del (2024-01-21 23:13:05)

#4 2024-01-21 22:56:05

CommanderRedYT

I booted up my win10, charging is not working here (same as in linux)
I checked lenovo vantage, but did not find any option called "Airplane mode". I searched for it a bit, and found a post where they said that I might have to install proper lenovo power management driver. The only charging related options i found were rapid charging and some mode where it only charges to 60%.

Board footer