You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-21 21:32:53

MAYBL8

[SOLVED] Best Network daemon install for Arch Linux?

I have read the wiki's and need to know some more info.
I have installed Arch on several laptops and desktops and have done it incorrectly with regards to networking setup.

One of my systems had all three of the following installed and I was told I only need one of these:
- systemd-networkd
- NetworkManager + wpa_supplicant
- iwd

My question that I can't find the answer to is:
Which of the above are the preferred install setup for Arch Linux?

Are there situations where one id preferred over another one such as Laptop vs. Desktop?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by MAYBL8 (2024-01-21 21:54:07)

#2 2024-01-21 21:40:44

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Best Network daemon install for Arch Linux?

IWD by itself is my preference but it does depend on your requirements. For a laptop that roams NetworkManager does offer a useful interface but I've used IWD to connect when travelling.

Note that systemd-networkd can't be used by itself for wireless connections, an authentication agent such as IWD or wpa_supplicant is also needed. And NetworkManager can be used with IWD instead of wpa_supplicant.

#3 2024-01-21 21:47:58

MAYBL8

I haven't experimented enough maybe.
Does iwd work with a task bar app like nm-network app. Not sure what it is called while I am typing this?
I do move around with this laptop to different locations such as other peoples houses and connect to their wifi networks.
Choosing from a list of wifi networks is preferable.
So maybe Network Manager is a better choice.

Do any of them hang when booting or shutting down?
Iv'e seem messages like waiting for network to shutdown or something similar but I don't know which daemon was doing this specifically.

I will mark this solved.
Thanks

#4 2024-01-21 21:52:57

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

MAYBL8 wrote:

Does iwd work with a task bar app like nm-network app

The only front end for IWD that I am aware of is iwctl(1) but it's really easy to use.

MAYBL8 wrote:

Not sure what it is called while I am typing this?

https://man.archlinux.org/man/nm-applet.1

MAYBL8 wrote:

Do any of them hang when booting or shutting down?

I've never experienced that with IWD, systemd-networkd or wpa_supplicant. I don't use NetworkManager at all.

#5 2024-01-21 23:03:31

V1del
Forum Moderator

Networkmanager can use IWD as a backend which will make it work with nm-applet and other taskbar integrations https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Networ … Fi_backend

For "hanging" those are either due to user error and misconfiguration, or likely due to kernel bugs. If you have that in any form of recent memory there was a bug in the 6.6.5 kernel that broke the wifi subsystem, but that was the kernel and affected all network management tools and got fixed in 6.6.6.

#6 2024-01-22 21:20:43

theluga

I always install NetworkManager, Since I use a laptop, I like to have a GUI interface with easy integration in any DE thanks to NM APIs.

I do not know what your preference are, you can use everything that is better for you. I also like the NM because since it is so mainstream. You will have a wealth of documentation, a very strong community and project development.

You can have those on other back-ends as well. I just think that being mainstream is easier and "I don't care a lot of network to leave my comfort zone".
NM has a lot of "bloat" if you don't use all those features, but I prefer to have them and not use them than to the unthinkable and the headache of going to some shit place with shit network with edgy configuration that will not play nice on other daemons (I don't know what, some dns-proxy-vpn-captive_portal-bluetooth-network-thing amalgamation of hell)

Last edited by theluga (2024-01-22 21:24:11)

Board footer