You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-23 03:05:08

slackcub

[SOLVED] Display not working after system update

I did a system update yesterday, it had been about a month since my last one on 2023-12-20.   I didn't notice any errors or anything like that during the update.  When I rebooted, I got the grub menu, and then saw the messages saying it was loading the kernel and initramfs (I'm running linux-lts).  It then just sat there, not changing.  Through the course of investigation I have discovered the following:

The boot continues and I do have messages that graphical.target is reached in journald.

I tried entering single user mode by adding init=/bin/bash to my kernel command line, and the results were the same. 

I tried rebuilding my initramfs with no benefit.

I tried downgrading my kernel but that also didn't change anything.

I noticed that SDDM didn't appear to fully come up according to the logs in journald, so I tried disabling it, but that didn't change anything either. The last message I got from SDDM after this started is:

sddm[808]: Running: /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp -background none -seat seat0 vt2 -auth /run/sddm/xauth_rlhHlf -noreset -displayfd 16

Whereas before the upgrade it would continue on with (these are from the last boot before the upgrade):

sddm[953]: Running: /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp -background none -seat seat0 vt2 -auth /run/sddm/xauth_XhHORF -noreset -displayfd 16
sddm[953]: Setting default cursor
sddm[953]: Running display setup script  "/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup"
sddm[953]: Display server started.
sddm[953]: Socket server starting...
sddm[953]: Socket server started.
sddm[953]: Loading theme configuration from "/usr/share/sddm/themes/breeze/theme.conf"
sddm[953]: Greeter starting...

I did notice some NVIDIA warnings/errors, but digging further I found that they also appeared pre-update. 

kernel: nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 238
kernel: 
kernel: nvidia 0000:08:00.0: vgaarb: VGA decodes changed: olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=io+mem
kernel: NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  545.29.06  Thu Nov 16 01:59:08 UTC 2023
(udev-worker)[446]: nvidia: Process '/usr/bin/bash -c '/usr/bin/mknod -Z -m 666 /dev/nvidiactl c $(grep nvidia-frontend /proc/devices | cut -d \  -f 1) 255'' failed with exit code 1.
(udev-worker)[415]: nvidia: Process '/usr/bin/bash -c '/usr/bin/mknod -Z -m 666 /dev/nvidiactl c $(grep nvidia-frontend /proc/devices | cut -d \  -f 1) 255'' failed with exit code 1.
(udev-worker)[446]: nvidia: Process '/usr/bin/bash -c 'for i in $(cat /proc/driver/nvidia/gpus/*/information | grep Minor | cut -d \  -f 4); do /usr/bin/mknod -Z -m 666 /dev/nvidia${i} c $(grep nvidia-frontend /proc/devices | cut -d \  -f 1) ${i}; done'' failed with exit code 1.
(udev-worker)[415]: nvidia: Process '/usr/bin/bash -c 'for i in $(cat /proc/driver/nvidia/gpus/*/information | grep Minor | cut -d \  -f 4); do /usr/bin/mknod -Z -m 666 /dev/nvidia${i} c $(grep nvidia-frontend /proc/devices | cut -d \  -f 1) ${i}; done'' failed with exit code 1.
kernel: nvidia_uvm: module uses symbols nvUvmInterfaceDisableAccessCntr from proprietary module nvidia, inheriting taint.
kernel: nvidia-gpu 0000:08:00.3: i2c timeout error e0000000
kernel: ucsi_ccg 3-0008: i2c_transfer failed -110
kernel: ucsi_ccg 3-0008: ucsi_ccg_init failed - -110
kernel: ucsi_ccg: probe of 3-0008 failed with error -110
systemd-modules-load[350]: Inserted module 'nvidia_uvm'
kernel: nvidia-uvm: Loaded the UVM driver, major device number 236.
kernel: nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms  545.29.06  Thu Nov 16 01:47:29 UTC 2023
(udev-worker)[446]: nvidia_modeset: Process '/usr/bin/bash -c '/usr/bin/mknod -Z -m 666 /dev/nvidia-modeset c $(grep nvidia-frontend /proc/devices | cut -d \  -f 1) 254'' failed with exit code 1.

Last edited by slackcub (2024-01-24 02:22:07)

#2 2024-01-23 09:16:16

seth

Re: [SOLVED] Display not working after system update

Please post your complete system journal for the boot (in case: no, please don't  use any of -exr)

#3 2024-01-23 22:23:38

slackcub

I posted it to https://0x0.st/HGus.txt

#4 2024-01-23 22:39:57

seth

Jan 21 22:04:32 kernel: [drm] Initialized simpledrm 1.0.0 20200625 for simple-framebuffer.0 on minor 0
Jan 21 22:04:32 kernel: simple-framebuffer simple-framebuffer.0: [drm] fb0: simpledrmdrmfb frame buffer device

Enable https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA … de_setting use the "nvidia_drm.modeset=1" kernel parameter (modprobe.conf won't do!) and don't use fbdev=1 for now.

If that doesn't help, please post your Xorg log, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xorg#General
Also try to disable plymouth.

You might also want to enable https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel … _KMS_start for the nvidia modules (it'll bloat the initramfs, but the driver loads late and SDDM early - this could lead to race conditions)

Fyi:

Jan 21 22:04:33 kernel: EXT4-fs (sdc1): warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended

That's probably /backup?

#5 2024-01-24 02:21:46

slackcub

So... there was a winding path, but it's working now.

Put nvidia_drm.modeset=1 on my kernel command line.  Had to edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg directly because running grub-mkconfig caused me to get stuck in an endless reboot loop, the grub screen would should up for a split second, then reboot.  No change.

Realized "kms" wasn't in my initramfs hooks, so I added it.  Also added nvidia modules to the MODULES directive.

Ran mkinitcpio -P to rebuild.  Got a bunch of errors about the nvidia modules not being found.  Realized I was.... forgetful... and didn't go back to the most recent kernels after I downgraded as part of this.

Installed the latest linux(|-lts)(|-headers) packages, let it rebuild my initramfs files and there was no nvidia module errors. 

Rebooted once more and I'm good to go. Thank you for your help!

I didn't have to disable plymouth, but I have noticed that plymouth starts so late in the boot process that it's effectively useless.  It shows up for about a half a second before sddm takes over.

seth wrote:

Fyi:

Jan 21 22:04:33 kernel: EXT4-fs (sdc1): warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended

That's probably /backup?

Yeah... I need to address that, too. At least it's an easy one.

Board footer