You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-02 17:13:46

RedLizzard2

Files Missing / Empty Folders

Good morning (or afternoon) y'all!

First off, wasn't sure this goes into the off-topic or general discussion--sorry.
Second, I know all about backups and what-nots. I aint gonna cry about this data.

All that said, wondering if I can have some tips on how to get some data back. Story is and to my assumption what is going on, on my laptop that dual boots with Windows  10, there has been over the years data randomly gets disappearing (from linux-side opening ntfs partitions; data also gone in Windows). I don't always open these folders every day so it can be gone for weeks and not know it. .. Long story short I suspect the NTFS-3G has a bug or when Archlinux/KDE and deamons shutting down, that the mounts didn't get properly unmounted causing the data to be partly corrupted. I believe its possible to reconstruct the data/rebuild and it could be recovered. Something like a filesystem repair..but I know that some commands will destroy the data instead of rebuilding it.  -- other note, I am going to ditch ntfs3g after this. Straight linux ecosystem here on out.

What I am asking for, what is the safest way to least safest way that could help rebuild that data? What commands/tools can I safely use to reconstruct the data? I'm sure the data is there but not visible/seen by Dolphin/ls. Probably from unmounting safely. The drive is an SSD 1tb and about 6yrs old. I have thought about bitrot but I kinda doubt it but not ruling it out. After trying to recover then I want to do a full drive health on it and test it. I have google before and there are several things out there but not always explaining things. I just want to ask for personal experience from someone who has already done something like this before (instead of some random website thats baiting for clicks)

Either way, I thank you in advance. Archlinux been my go-to distro for years and years..not without problems but I'm sticking with Arch!

#2 2024-02-02 17:43:56

ua4000

Re: Files Missing / Empty Folders

Hi, you are aware of this ?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dual_b … ibernation
Did you followed the arch tips already or is it too late ?

Due to SSD/trim, I assume there is no chance to get any lost data block back, sorry.

#3 2024-02-02 17:48:57

RedLizzard2

Don't think I did but I also rarely boot into Windows. I accessed the data last time in linux and haven't booted into Windows during that time. I been ditching Windows more and more on personal systems.

#4 2024-02-02 17:55:54

ua4000

You can try a rescue of course:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/File_recovery

If the data are valuable for you, I recommend to pay for professional rescue service.

In both cases: every minute using the machine further by you could destroy more data. So stop using it immediately.

#5 2024-02-02 18:04:01

V1del
Forum Moderator

If the files weren't explicitly deleted chances are they are still there but just fumble up the NTFS driver.

The safest way to try and get that is to run a chkdsk from Windows. Also are you sure it's ntfs-3g? I basically never had issues with that one, but ntfs3 is somewhat prone to corrupting/losing sight of files on an ntfs partition. And it recently was made the default driver at the beginning of last year for udisks based mounting operations.

Last edited by V1del (2024-02-02 18:05:08)

#6 2024-02-02 20:16:30

RedLizzard2

V1del, no files were explicitly deleted, just one day I come back to the folders and all I find is empty folders and subfolders. I have in the past when it first happen I didn't think much of it but I did try Windows and see if it would show up and they were still empty. I suspect perhaps its from the drives not unmounting properly (only happening with ntfs partitions) during shutdown. I also have a 1tb hdd (laptop has two drives) and both has had issues before. But this time, I'm little annoyed and want to attempt recovery (with commands that won't clean the sectors, destroy data but reconstruct any missing headers/metadata needed). After this, I'm dumping ntfs-3g for long term data access--no more Windows, dedicated NAS/SANs here on out.

#7 2024-02-03 00:17:32

V1del
Forum Moderator

As mentioned, the linux ntfs drivers are prone to fuck ups, a proper chkdsk from windows will usually clear that up, do that.

Board footer