You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-13 14:40:50

nowy
Member
Registered: 2022-04-15
Posts: 12

Test patches for acer predator laptops (models with predator sense v4)

There is a series of patches for acer predator laptops that use predator sense v4.x (not v3) to support platform profile and monitoring fan speed in linux-next tree.

platform profile (support turbo mode and other modes with the mode button):
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke … fb186ed92e

monitoring fan speed (it needs both patches):
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke … 104156d0f6

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke … 01ed1b3d85

Although patches were tested with phn16-71 (and PH16-71, thanks shmeegz) only, these patches are probably compatible with other laptops using predator sense v4 (may include v5?) that are listed below.

Predator PH18-71
Predator PH3D15-71
Predator PT14-51
Predator PT16-51
Predator PTX17-71
Predator PH16-72
Predator PH18-72
Predator PHN14-51
Predator PHN16-72
Predator PHN18-71
Predator PTN16-51

If these patches are working with your laptop, please submit new patch (to add your laptop in quirk list) to kernel maintainer or reply laptop model here.

(applying patches, you add your laptop product name to acer_quirks[] array in acer-wmi.c with quirk_acer_predator_v4 and check predator sense version that you use is v4, not v3.)

In addition, there is a fix for key mapping in systemd-hwdb. If you have problems with mic mute, keyboard back light or predator sense key, try this with your laptop model name.

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/comm … 62d2.patch
(already merged into main branch)

- you can get vendor and product name from /sys/class/dmi/id/*

Last edited by nowy (2024-03-01 07:15:43)

Offline

#2 2024-02-10 18:29:41

shmeegz
Member
Registered: 2024-02-10
Posts: 3

Re: Test patches for acer predator laptops (models with predator sense v4)

PH16-71
6.8.0-1-MANJARO

I see that these patches have been merged into linux6.8.
However, pressing my mode button doesn't seem to cycle modes and after running 'sensors-detect' and 'sensors' I'm not seeing CPU or GPU fan rpm.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Offline

#3 2024-02-11 03:49:45

nowy
Member
Registered: 2022-04-15
Posts: 12

Re: Test patches for acer predator laptops (models with predator sense v4)

shmeegz wrote:

PH16-71
6.8.0-1-MANJARO

I see that these patches have been merged into linux6.8.
However, pressing my mode button doesn't seem to cycle modes and after running 'sensors-detect' and 'sensors' I'm not seeing CPU or GPU fan rpm.

Maybe I'm missing something?


when you apply patch, you should add your laptop product name to acer_quirks[] array in acer-wmi.c with quirk_acer_predator_v4 and build it from source code.

Last edited by nowy (2024-02-12 03:39:54)

Offline

#4 2024-02-12 14:55:43

shmeegz
Member
Registered: 2024-02-10
Posts: 3

Re: Test patches for acer predator laptops (models with predator sense v4)

Thanks nowy, the response is appreciated.

I understand now.

I added my model, PH16-71, to the  acer_quirks[] array of acer-wmi.c...

{
	.callback = dmi_matched,
	.ident = "Acer Predator PH16-71",
	.matches = {
		DMI_MATCH(DMI_SYS_VENDOR, "Acer"),
		DMI_MATCH(DMI_PRODUCT_NAME, "Predator PH16-71"),
	},
	.driver_data = &quirk_acer_predator_v4,
},

I then compiled kernel 6.8-rc4, and can confirm that both reading fan rpm and mode button are working!!!

Thank you for doing the work of implementing this and getting these patches merged!!!

So, how would I go about getting my model included so I don't have to keep recompiling custom kernels?

Thanks again!

Last edited by shmeegz (2024-02-12 21:39:46)

Offline

#5 2024-02-13 02:25:46

nowy
Member
Registered: 2022-04-15
Posts: 12

Re: Test patches for acer predator laptops (models with predator sense v4)

shmeegz wrote:

Thanks nowy, the response is appreciated.

I understand now.

I added my model, PH16-71, to the  acer_quirks[] array of acer-wmi.c...

{
	.callback = dmi_matched,
	.ident = "Acer Predator PH16-71",
	.matches = {
		DMI_MATCH(DMI_SYS_VENDOR, "Acer"),
		DMI_MATCH(DMI_PRODUCT_NAME, "Predator PH16-71"),
	},
	.driver_data = &quirk_acer_predator_v4,
},

I then compiled kernel 6.8-rc4, and can confirm that both reading fan rpm and mode button are working!!!

Thank you for doing the work of implementing this and getting these patches merged!!!

So, how would I go about getting my model included so I don't have to keep recompiling custom kernels?

Thanks again!

It's nice! I'll prepare new patch to add product names soon.

Offline

#6 2024-02-16 06:01:21

shmeegz
Member
Registered: 2024-02-10
Posts: 3

Re: Test patches for acer predator laptops (models with predator sense v4)

nowy wrote:

It's nice! I'll prepare new patch to add product names soon.

Thank you! That would be very much appreciated!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB