You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-16 15:13:42

onemyndseye
Banned

adega WINE Frontend - Should I pickup my old project?

How much call is there for this now days?   My old frontend worked well at the time and Ive been thinking of updating it to get it working again but with qt4-wine, lutris and steam I am not sure there is much call for it.   What do you guys think?

https://github.com/onemyndseye/adega

Last edited by onemyndseye (2024-02-16 15:27:30)

#2 2024-02-16 15:24:49

progandy

Re: adega WINE Frontend - Should I pickup my old project?

It looks like an interesting project, if you want to do it for yourself go for it.

I am not sure how it would compare against the currently existing options like q4wine-cli, winegui, lutris, bottles or playonlinux, though.
Maybe if you keep it lean and simple or something like that?

Last edited by progandy (2024-02-16 15:25:31)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2024-02-16 15:40:48

onemyndseye
Banned

Re: adega WINE Frontend - Should I pickup my old project?

exactly.   I had a ball writing it and used it every day...... 14 years ago lol.   I tactically acquired PlayonLinux wine builds repo to make bottled up installs with the wine build of your choosing.   At the time I planned on adopting bottles method of creating self extracting installs but I never got that far.  I understand PoL to be basically dead these days...  I am currently reviewing qt4-wine and lutris (will checkout winegui too) and see if there is still room for my little project. 

Project goals at the time was to create something very useful with a large focus on portability (hence shell based with Zenity/Kdialog menus)  so lean is definitely the name of the game. 

If picked back up I would need to update the wine installer function to grab wine builds from elsewhere (maybe MEGA i guess)  and adjust throughout for modern changes in XDG standards and whatnot.

Board footer