You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-09 19:23:56

delphinen

new Opera weekly build rocks

Fixes to the Fraud Protection feature.
Fixes to Opera freezing with Flash 9 on Linux.
Fixed smooth scrolling on UNIX!
Flash now works on FreeBSD!

It also doesnt crash with Gmail anymore. Smooth scrolling is the best I have seen on Linux. I encourage all Opera users to try this new build  yikes

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

#2 2006-12-10 13:19:59

Romashka
Forum Fellow

Re: new Opera weekly build rocks

The changelog contains these lines, in fact:

# Fixed smooth scrolling on UNIX! w00t!!1!
# Flash now works on FreeBSD! OMG!!!11!1!

sic!

Opera devs are cool. lol

to live is to die

#3 2006-12-10 13:31:02

yankees26

Fixes to Opera freezing with Flash 9 on Linux.

That would make predatorfreak very happy. tongue

#4 2006-12-13 01:42:49

jellywerker

And me! Firefox (bon echo... I want Firefox name back!) crashes on a lot of my favorite sites that have advertisers that have updated to flash 9.

#5 2006-12-13 04:58:08

islamguide.com

Is this packaged somewhere in pacman?

Thanks in advance!

#6 2006-12-13 05:53:37

Acid7711
Website

I'd seriously give this a go if it weren't for the fact that I can't stand how once you close a tab, it doesn't goto the next in order, it goes to the last tab viewed. That drives me nuts. Maybe there's a way to change it, I fiddled with it for a while before getting frustrated.  That and the shortcut keys annoy me as well. Kinda a pita to change when most others are defaulted to others.

I'm getting sick of the firefox problems as well, but I'm used to pushing control+click for open in tab, and my tabs closing in order.

#7 2006-12-13 17:06:42

skymt

islamguide.com wrote:

Is this packaged somewhere in pacman?

It's in the AUR, called opera-devel. That's the 20061205 release this thread is about. There's actually a newer release (20061212) that came out yesterday. That one doesn't seem to be packaged yet, but I imagine it would be a trivial edit to the PKGBUILD.

#8 2006-12-13 22:08:23

wain
Website

opera-snapshot is here:

[archlinuxfr]
Server = http://www.archlinux.fr/os/i686

#9 2006-12-14 02:39:32

Sekre

Acid7711 wrote:

I'm getting sick of the firefox problems as well, but I'm used to pushing control+click for open in tab, and my tabs closing in order.

for your information : you can change the tab order in preferences -> advanced -> tabs. Think it was harder to find before, at least the tab close was why I didn't use opera earlier, but now I kinda like it more than ff.

Cheers to Opera devs for fixing flash9!

EDIT: Um...about those pesky tabs, sorry I read one thing and thought another....  :oops: you'r right, it was hard to fix....(still looking though tongue)

#10 2006-12-14 18:20:40

twiistedkaos

THe only issue I have with opera is it seems to use a QT engine or something, becuase  the menu's are completely ugly on GTK2 imho.

#11 2006-12-15 08:43:26

islamguide.com

THe only issue I have with opera is it seems to use a QT engine or something, becuase the menu's are completely ugly on GTK2 imho.

I think it is based on qt. You can use the tango cl theme downloadable from the opera skins section which makes opera looks like gtk clearlooks complete with the blue scrollbar.

Here's a screenshot of the theme,
http://ww1.pureupload.com/public/pview/ … dopera.png

I'd seriously give this a go if it weren't for the fact that I can't stand how once you close a tab, it doesn't goto the next in order, it goes to the last tab viewed.

Isn't this the default? This is how it works on my setup. I still can't find the appropriate setting to toggle this.

Ps. For those from firefox, you might wanna try the tweaks fom the sites below..

http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/tab-bar-below-address-bar
http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/open-in- … id=2327155
Scrollbars not placed at very right hand corner
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/to … 540&page=1

Thanks in advance!

#12 2006-12-15 08:43:44

islamguide.com

THe only issue I have with opera is it seems to use a QT engine or something, becuase the menu's are completely ugly on GTK2 imho.

I think it is based on qt. You can use the tango cl theme downloadable from the opera skins section which makes opera looks like gtk clearlooks complete with the blue scrollbar.

Here's a screenshot of the theme,
http://ww1.pureupload.com/public/pview/ … dopera.png

I'd seriously give this a go if it weren't for the fact that I can't stand how once you close a tab, it doesn't goto the next in order, it goes to the last tab viewed.

Isn't this the default? This is how it works on my setup. I still can't find the appropriate setting to toggle this.

Ps. For those from firefox, you might wanna try the tweaks fom the sites below..

Extending Opera : The Ultimate Guide to Customizing Opera
http://www.pallab.net/2006/04/12/extend … ing-opera/

Firefox/Opera Extensions Comparison
http://files.myopera.com/Rijk/blog/extensions.html

tab-bar-below-address-bar
http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/tab-bar- … ddress-bar

Scrollbars not placed at very right hand corner
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/
topic.dml?id=169908&t=1166042540&page=1

Also, you can use hold right mouse button then scroll to switch tabs similar to ctrl+tab

Hope this helps!

Thanks in advance!

#13 2006-12-15 09:59:57

Acid7711
Website

I've found a fix for tabs closing and opening others. You have to set the control+w command to something like "close current tab & switch to next tab"  not exactly that, but something very similiar. However, clicking the "X" on the tab still does the same stupid thing before; it goes into the order of the tabs last viewed and not the order they actually are in next. Annoys me to no end.

I found something that allows you to place custom buttons someplace and I put the button to do what I wanted, however you can't place the button on the individual tabs. That 'X' is stuck there as far as I know. Just another thing to annoy me with it. I'd love it if it wasn't for these few things.

Plus, control+shift+click is another key I have to press to open in a background tab. I'm sure there's a semi-easy way to switch this.  I just don't understand why they can't follow the basic standards that every major webbrowser before them has set. FF, Konq, hell even IE.  Why do they feel the need to make up their own special keyboard shortcuts? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  If you want masses to adapt to your software, use the standards set forth that people are used to and like.  For me, it's much easier to do a control+click than a control+shift+click.  Needless key presses imo. 

Am I the only person that feels they shouldn't have to redesign and install 10 extensions just to get the browser to follow the basic standards and things that I've learned and gotten used to? big_smile I like things that just work the way I'm expecting them to. While I'm getting tired of certain things in FF, at least I don't have to readjust all my keyboard shortcuts every time I do a clean install or go through getting adjusted to the Opera 'default' ones instead of my old ones that all other browsers seem to adhere to.  Even in that case, going to another computer will yield frustration when attempting to use your 'newly learned default keyboard shortcuts' from Opera in other's that use FF or something similar.

Maybe I'm completely wrong here and there's a logical reason for doing this. Maybe the developers have control+click set to automatically pop the toast up from their toaster for their morning breakfast. *shrugs* lol

#14 2006-12-15 11:26:37

islamguide.com

You have to set the control+w command to something like "close current tab & switch to next tab" not exactly that, but something very similiar.

Just rechecked my config for Gesture Down;

Open link in background page | Close page & Switch to previous page | Remove all finished transfers

So that wasn't the defaults....

While I'm getting tired of certain things in FF, at least I don't have to readjust all my keyboard shortcuts every time I do a clean install

Importing settings from opera is as easy as copying the required settings files to your new opera installation. For example, bookmarks are stored in opera.adr, sessions in the sessions folder, mouse gestures setting under mouse directory etc....

Plus, control+shift+click is another key I have to press to open in a background tab.

Currently, I use a mouse gesture(gesture down etc. config above) to open links in background tabs. However, I miss FF's Tab mix plus extension which provides an option that forces all links outside the current domain to open in a new (background) page while that linking to the same domain still on the same page. Wish this could be imported to opera...

Thanks in advance!

#15 2006-12-15 13:02:46

ravisghosh
Website

opera-devel is still not marked safe by any TU.

#16 2006-12-15 14:57:10

Acid7711
Website

islamguide.com wrote:

While I'm getting tired of certain things in FF, at least I don't have to readjust all my keyboard shortcuts every time I do a clean install

Importing settings from opera is as easy as copying the required settings files to your new opera installation. For example, bookmarks are stored in opera.adr, sessions in the sessions folder, mouse gestures setting under mouse directory etc....

Yeah, that's nice if you have direct access over the net or physically, but it's not always feasible for other people you know who are doing it.  There are certain circumstances where sending over your config isn't viable.  Plus, I hate the idea of having to save my config just to use something.  Just my opinion.

As far as bookmarks go in FF, in 5 seconds I'm in the bookmark manager, exported my settings and bam I'm done. I don't have to go hunting around in directories for random config and bookmark files.  Nice, easy, convenient way to find and save things. smile

islamguide.com wrote:

Plus, control+shift+click is another key I have to press to open in a background tab.

Currently, I use a mouse gesture(gesture down etc. config above) to open links in background tabs. However, I miss FF's Tab mix plus extension which provides an option that forces all links outside the current domain to open in a new (background) page while that linking to the same domain still on the same page. Wish this could be imported to opera...

Yeah, never been too big of a fan of mouse gestures.  I like my control+click. Been doing the exact same thing on many different browsers on many different o/s's for many years now. Things as common as this shouldn't be changed so rapidly imo.  If they do change them, there should be a very easy way to set them back to the way people are used to.  You want to do something different that's fine, just make sure the user doesn't have to jump through hoops and break their back just to try to get things back to how they like. 

It's kinda like playing any modern game.  They all basically follow the same format for controls.  Sure, many have their own setup, but there's a simple screen that goes "jump: space". Now that's fine for most people, but I use control key for jumping hah.  So, 2 seconds later it's set, I'm done and out of there playing the game. I'm not searching around for extensions for the game config, or relearning how to jump differently than I'm used to doing.   Maybe a bad analogy, but that's pretty much the just of it in my eyes.

Board footer