You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-23 15:45:15

ChrisSassy

[SOLVED] Huge input delay on microphone with Pipewire

Hi all,

does anybody have an idea on what could cause this:

Problem descirption
I use a Focusrite 6i6 DAC via USB. Playback is working fine without issues (Browsers, Bitwig DAW, VLC, Videos, etc), but all input through the microphone seems to be delayed by about 2-3 seconds. This can be reproduced in Bitwig, in Microsoft Teams Calls, Signal voice messages, etc. So when I send a voice message in Signal for example, I need to wait an additional few seconds after talking before I hit "Send", otherwise the voice message is cut off in the middle of the sentence.

Setup

• Kernel: 6.1.39-1-lts (System is up to date)

• Pipewire with Wireplumber (+pipewire-alsa, pipewire-pulse and pipewire-jack installed (I do not use jack or any applications that require jack!)

• Focusrite 6i6 2nd Gen connected via USB

• I use EasyEffects that says I'm at ~7ms processing time. But even if I kill EasyEffects and try again, the delay is still there.

What has been done so far
I've read through the ArchWiki for Pipewire and Wireplumber and tried different settings for the

/etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf

and

/etc/pipewire/pipewire-pulse.conf

for example to set

node.latency 128/48000 

as well as 

default.clock.quantum = 256 

For now, I have reverted everything to default, because none of the changes seemed to have an effect on this issue.

Output of pw-dump
https://drive.proton.me/urls/AF3S9QKDS0#fqWHPIt2wtMG

Example of pw-top
Screenshot of pw-top

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by ChrisSassy (2023-07-28 18:42:57)

#2 2023-07-27 17:09:41

ChrisSassy

Re: [SOLVED] Huge input delay on microphone with Pipewire

For other desperate people: I have subscribed to an open issue on the PipeWire GitLab page: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire … ssues/3350
Seems like I'm not the only one and it's not an isolated issue with my system / setup. We'll see how it goes. I'll post updates here as well, when I got news.

Cheers

Last edited by ChrisSassy (2023-07-27 17:10:12)

#3 2023-07-28 18:42:22

ChrisSassy

The new pipewire verison 0.3.76 just got released for Arch and this fixed it. According to Wim Taymans on the Gitlab thread, it was high-resolution time stamps that caused this. In version 0.3.76 it was disabled again. Case closed.

#4 2024-03-02 15:26:10

shoxx

experiencing the same issue with a fresh manjaro kde install on a USB-Microphone.
the max latency is somehow set to "node.max-latency = "16384/48000"" which it also feels like its maxing out 100% of the time.

Board footer