You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-14 14:43:49

/etc/profile.d scripts

A while ago, I was helping a friend installing archlinux on his laptop.
He wanted to use tcsh as his main shell, as he is used to this from FreeBSD.
We then discovered that his path was never updated after installing new packages (for instance firefox) and then running source /etc/profile

The reason, we later found out, was that most (if not all) of the scripts in /etc/profile.d does not have a valid shebang (usually the top row of a script, looking something like #!/bin/sh , telling the computer which shell to run the script in).
This, in combination with tcsh (and probably csh as well, we never tested that though), results in our problem, since tcsh does not have the command export, which is built in in bash (and sh, zsh, and most of other shells out there).
Tcsh uses the command set instead.

My little question is this: Why doesn't those scripts have proper shebangs, so that it would be possible to use archlinux with tcsh?
Does anybode have a good answer to that, and is this something that should be corrected in some way?

#2 2006-12-15 04:11:17

byte

Re: /etc/profile.d scripts

As those files are getting sourced through /etc/profile they don't need a proper shebang.
The only distro I know with support for csh is Slackware, don't expect it in Arch.

#3 2006-12-16 22:33:04

noriko
Website

Re: /etc/profile.d scripts

well all is required is to source (.) /etc/profile
i dunno how u go about that in anything that's not bash ...
~/.Xdefaults ? i dunno, or manually source it at terminal access....

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

Board footer