You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-12 03:34:30

haigioli

[SOLVED] Plasma 6 Wayland+Nvidia black screen and mouse cursor only

I ran into this problem only today.  I was on an X11 session.  Ran a system update.  Rebooted and logged with under Wayland only to be met with a black screen and a large mouse cursor.  Seems like a plasmashell error, so I ran

plasmashell --replace

and got the following errors:

[haig@aragorn ~]$ plasmashell --replace 
libEGL warning: MESA-LOADER: failed to open simpledrm: /usr/lib/dri/simpledrm_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/dri, suffix _dri)

MESA: error: CreateSwapchainKHR failed with VK_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
MESA: error: zink: could not create swapchain
kf.plasma.quick: Applet preload policy set to 1
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/main.qml:196:25: QML FolderViewDropArea (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property "minimumWidth"
qt.qml.typeresolution.cycle: Cyclic dependency detected between "qrc:/qt/qml/org/kde/desktop/private/TextFieldContextMenu.qml" and "qrc:/qt/qml/org/kde/desktop/MenuItem.qml"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/main.qml:162:21: QML KSortFilterProxyModel: Binding loop detected for property "sourceModel"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/main.qml:162:21: QML KSortFilterProxyModel: Binding loop detected for property "sourceModel"
qt.qml.typeresolution.cycle: Cyclic dependency detected between "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/global/Globals.qml" and "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/NotificationHeader.qml"
qt.qml.typeresolution.cycle: Cyclic dependency detected between "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/global/Globals.qml" and "file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/ThumbnailStrip.qml"
qml: SystemTray ItemLoader: Invalid state, cannot determine source!
kf.coreaddons: The plugin "plasma5support/dataengine/plasma_engine_wacomtablet" explicitly states an Id in the embedded metadata, which is different from the one derived from the filename The Id field from the KPlugin object in the metadata should be removed
qt.dbus.integration: Could not connect "org.cups.cupsd.Notifier" to PrinterFinishingsChanged(QString, QString, QString, uint, QString, bool) : 
qrc:/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigamiaddons/components/Avatar.qml:201:9: QML QQuickImage: Error decoding: qrc:/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigamiaddons/components/Avatar.qml?timestamp=1710212499966: Unsupported image format
qrc:/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigamiaddons/components/Avatar.qml:201:9: QML QQuickImage: Error decoding: qrc:/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigamiaddons/components/Avatar.qml?timestamp=1710212499966: Unsupported image format
QFont::setPointSizeF: Point size <= 0 (0.000000), must be greater than 0
MESA: warning: zink: PERF WARNING! > 100 copy boxes detected for 0x7131d4a83cc0

I tried reinstalleding plasma-desktop and nvidia drivers.  Still the same behaviour.

X11 works very well without any plasmashell errors.  Modesetting is turned on and working.  Wayland was working yesterday.  And now, it's not.  Can't really make heads or tails of it.

Last edited by haigioli (2024-03-12 04:01:28)

#2 2024-03-12 04:01:10

haigioli

Re: [SOLVED] Plasma 6 Wayland+Nvidia black screen and mouse cursor only

Never mind.  It turns out that whatever trickery that automatically turned on modesetting without the need for the kernel parameter no longer does that.  I had to explicitly add it to the kernel parameter and run grub-mkconfig to make it stick.  I don't know what changed, but there you have it.  Solved.

Perhaps, if someone knows out there why it automatically switches modesetting on, on a machine with an RTX 4090 and not on an RTX 2080, I'd love to know.

#3 2024-03-12 09:39:43

sylvainb

I ran into the same problem with an nvidia card after the today's update to plasma 6.

The solution was to enable the kernel mode setting, as haigioli suggested above.

I created a new file at /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf, and put the following lines inside:

options nvidia_drm modeset=1
options nvidia_drm fbdev=1

=> source

Last edited by sylvainb (2024-03-12 09:40:53)

#4 2024-03-14 16:29:24

nroth

That didn't work for me, but this guide did: https://www.maketecheasier.com/wayland- … ics-cards/

I think I'll file a packaging bug...

#5 2024-03-14 16:41:30

V1del
Forum Moderator

There is no packaging bug and nothing in that guide is not also mentioned on the relevant wiki pages: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Wayland#NVIDIA_driver

#6 2024-07-14 15:07:17

Solhvemjsun

omg I LOVE YOU!!!

sylvainb wrote:

I ran into the same problem with an nvidia card after the today's update to plasma 6.

The solution was to enable the kernel mode setting, as haigioli suggested above.

I created a new file at /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf, and put the following lines inside:

options nvidia_drm modeset=1
options nvidia_drm fbdev=1

=> source

Board footer