You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-13 02:29:51

TheTrueColonel

KDE 6 plasmashell/system randomly crashing

Twice today, and infrequently happened within the past month, I've had my system hard crashing to where I've needed to force reboot my PC. Since updating to Plasma KDE 6, I've started getting a window stating that it was Plasmashell crashing, the times my PC was able to recover somewhat. I've been unable to purposefully repro this error, so I'm not entirely sure what the source of the issue is.

Each time, I've attempted to look at the journal, but have been unable to make enough sense of what's logging to know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5800X
GPU: Radeon 7900XT

Relevant Packages:
KDE Plasma 6.0.1 (Wayland)
Linux-Zen 6.7.9

Logs/Configs:
journalctl -b (Plasmashell crashed twice, but not while I was viewing. Recovered fine.)
journalctl -b -2 (System hard crashed playing Helldivers 2)
dmesg
glxinfo -B

#2 2024-03-14 10:09:26

Nikolai5

Re: KDE 6 plasmashell/system randomly crashing

I get the same errors, where plasmashell crashes and auto recovers. Most (but not all) applications also remain intact for me, the ones that do get closed I have to manually reopen. It does seem random in nature, as I've had it happen when not actively doing anything but I have had it happen twice just as I clicked to open a youtube video in Firefox.
I do have hardware acceleration enabled and so it could be related to GPU drivers, but that's just a guess.

I have a Ryzen 7 1800X and AMD 7800XT
6.7.9-zen1-1-zen
KDE Plasma 6.0.1 (Kwin Wayland)

The errors in my logs are similar to yours. If we're both getting the issue, we're definitely not alone.

Ryzen 7 1800X | AMD 7800XT | KDE Plasma
I can't wait to play my favourite game, wine64-preloader.

#3 2024-03-14 13:46:23

Nikolai5

Re: KDE 6 plasmashell/system randomly crashing

From what I've been reading it does seem to be related to Wayland as well.

On another forum post a member of the KDE team referred to this article: https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_an … oredumpctl
and to file a bug report with as much info as possible.

Other people said you can try switching to X11 as a temporary measure. Plasma6 is still new, so try to get that issue reported and it might get fixed sooner the more info we can give the developers.

See https://discuss.kde.org/t/plasmashell-c … -6-0/11467

Ryzen 7 1800X | AMD 7800XT | KDE Plasma
I can't wait to play my favourite game, wine64-preloader.

Board footer