You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-12 18:08:45

gabespound

Arch Linux KDE Plasma | blank screen with cursor after login

Did a pacman -Syyu before turning off my pc last night and this morning when I try to get past the login screen I am met with a blank black screen with a cursor I’m able to move around.  I can’t press the function keys to bring up a terminal.  I attached. Video below, how can I resolve this?

https://youtu.be/56dLg3aN33M?feature=shared

#2 2024-03-12 18:22:06

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Arch Linux KDE Plasma | blank screen with cursor after login

Nvidia GPU? Either switch to the Xorg session (Wayland became the default and is selected if you never changed this) in the dropdown you should have in the top bar in sddm on the default theme. Or test wayland by adding nvidia-drm.modeset=1 to your kernel command line (modprobe config won't do since we need to disable simpledrm in the same context) https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA … de_setting

Also, as a side note, read up on what the second y does when reading pacman's man page and only ever use it when you actually need it.

#3 2024-03-14 20:58:27

gabespound

I beleive i was using wayland before, and i'd like to use wayland moving forward.  Why has this all of a sudden stopped working?  I see the second y forces a refresh of the global package list even if there are no updates, thanks for the tip.

#4 2024-03-14 21:53:58

seth

Please post your complete system journal for the boot:

sudo journalctl -b | curl -F 'file=@-' 0x0.st

I see the second y forces a refresh of the global package list even if there are no updates

In case it's not clear, the two implications of that are undue burden on the mirror and you might end up breaking your local database this way.

Board footer