You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-17 08:42:19

Shagbag

Changing permissions for /media/IRIVER ?

I was having problems attaching my USD mass storage device (IRIVER mp3 player) to my laptop.  Thanks to Bert, it's now fixed.  However, now I've got a different problem. My iRiver shows up with permissions:

drwxr-xr-x

How do I change them so that every time I connect it to my PC it allows me to write to it?  It's mounted as /media/IRIVER but I couldn't see a 'media' group in /etc/group.  Is it better for me to become a member of the right group rather than change the permissions for 'other'?

#2 2006-12-17 12:37:25

Linteg

Re: Changing permissions for /media/IRIVER ?

That would depend on how you mount it, if you let gnome/kde etc mount it automatically you should add yourself to the "storage" group, if you have it in /etc/fstab or have made your own udev-rule, you should edit the mount options there.

#3 2006-12-17 13:16:52

Shagbag

Thanks Linteg.  I am already a member of the storage group.  I take it, then, that the directory /media is part of the storage group.  Should I simply execute

chmod g+w /media

as root?  Will this change be permanent so that I don't have to keep doing it everytime after a reboot?

#4 2006-12-17 19:11:50

Linteg

Probably not, how do you mount the drive? Do you do it manually with "mount" do you let gnome/kde/xfce etc mount it automatically, do you have a udev rule set up to do the mounting? The thing is that permissions are set at mount, even if you do a chmod to let everyone read/write from a folder, the permissions change when you mount something there.

#5 2006-12-18 01:36:48

Snarkout

Look in the wiki for the udev usb rules article - there is good info there on how to make a symlink for USB devices.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

Board footer