You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-04 05:01:38

Skipple

Wireplumber & Pipewire eating CPU - killing PC

Hi - First of all, I want to preface with an obligatory: "I'm new to Arch and Linux in general, so if I'm missing something obvious, please be gentle."

I had this issue previously when using Fedora, so it appears this issue is distro-agnostic and is an issue with my particular hardware.

Seemingly randomly, wireplumber will eat a single core on my machine, causing my fans to ramp up and battery drain.

systemctl restart wireplumber --user

....will stop the issue for a while but after a few minutes the issue will return.

When I was installing arch, I noticed I was getting some random errors:

snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: spurious response

...would flood my tty screen. I'm unsure if that's related.

I was able to work around the issue in Fedora by

dnf swap wireplumber pipewire-media-session

but I want to avoid that and get to the root cause if possible.

Anyone have any ideas of what's going on here, how I can resolve it, or if there is a more appropriate place to ask?

-thanks in advance

#2 2024-03-12 00:50:10

Skipple

Re: Wireplumber & Pipewire eating CPU - killing PC

bumping - still having this issue if anyone has any place for me to start poking.

#3 2024-03-12 06:13:49

jlindgren

I would guess that the "spurious response" errors are indeed related, but that is not very helpful, except to indicate a driver or hardware problem (especially since you've seen them on Fedora as well).

It may help to describe what your "particular hardware" is. Is there anything unique about it, are you using any proprietary drivers, etc.

#4 2024-03-12 19:39:56

Skipple

jlindgren wrote:

It may help to describe what your "particular hardware" is. Is there anything unique about it, are you using any proprietary drivers, etc.

Duh! Sorry I didn't include that in the original post. I'm using a Lenovo ThinkPad X270. BIOS is updated to the latest version and there isn't anything particularly custom or esoteric about the setup, especially not on the audio side. The speakers work just fine when wireplumber is enabled and sound is produced without issue.

Last edited by Skipple (2024-03-12 19:41:59)

#5 2024-03-19 20:38:36

Skipple

Bumping to see if anyone has any idea where to begin investigating this issue. I'm at a loss of what to do.

Board footer