You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-26 23:24:50

gabespound

Missing option for Allow Flipping in newest version of nvidia-settings

I usually achieve good performance in games by turning off allow Flipping, but I don't see this option present in nvidia-settings.  Since updating to KDE 6 with wayland i've had a lot of problems with gaming.  My games stutter, steam stutters and glitches, etc.  I Tried using the nvidia beta drivers and this helped a little, but still not perfect as it was in kde 5.  I have tried disabling kwin compositing.  I have heard rumors of new nvidia drivers supporting explicit sync, which may resovle my issues.  Is this implemented yet? Perhaps in a newer beta version or a package i can build myself?

Update:  Forgot I hadn't used my PC in a week and needed an update.  Gameplay is now pretty much the same as it was, but during startup and little things within steam like the scroll bar are still a little glitchy.  My question about the missing "Allow Flipping" option an explicit sync remain open.

Last edited by gabespound (2024-03-26 23:32:02)

#2 2024-03-27 00:50:09

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Missing option for Allow Flipping in newest version of nvidia-settings

You can't use nvidia-settings on wayland properly in general. Explicit sync is slated for the next beta 555 nvidia driver scheduled around may, but explicit sync in the nvidia driver is only a part of the puzzle to fully implement this properly, this needs to get merged into xorg-xwayland and into wayland protocols and mesa and support relevantly enabled for compositors for this to work completely. Changes are you configure whether flipping is allowed via nvidia-settings rather than a tearing protocol implemented in the compositor are also unlikely.

See also https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 9#p2159859

You can still use a xorg session with KDE 6 which is likely the better option in general in the interim.

Board footer