You are not logged in.

#26 2024-03-15 23:30:32

HighValueWarrior

Re: Recent Arch ISOs will not boot in UEFI mode on my old system

I would like to add some feedback to this thread.
Recently ran into this same issue as OP.   
CPU i7 2600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67
Ram 16 gb

Last working iso for me is 06/01/2023   .... next month throws a kernel panic error and months after that do not even get past acpi erros.
Hardware still works great on any os I throw at it with the exception of winblows 11.

Hope people more knowledgeable than I can find a solution. 
For now I will hack it out with a fresh install off an old iso.

Edit
While the 06/01/2023 iso loads fine, it fails on installation of pacstrap ..... due to signature errors.

Last edited by HighValueWarrior (2024-03-16 00:11:54)

#27 2024-03-20 04:19:51

tulipszs

I wanted to chime in that I'm also unable to boot the most recent ISOs via UEFI, but falling back to legacy boot worked fine. My system is newer, I observed the same behavior as https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=287668 and tried all listed fix attempts. Very little debug output to go off of.

Tried 3 different USB sticks, all different brands, and multiple ports on my machine (to rule out any shotty flash). Mobo MS-7C37,  CPU Ryzen 9 5950X.

Doesn't seem related to any singular piece of hardware.

HighValueWarrior wrote:

While the 06/01/2023 iso loads fine, it fails on installation of pacstrap ..... due to signature errors.

Also: you can install fix this by reinstalling the keyring most of the time

pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring

Last edited by tulipszs (2024-03-20 04:21:28)

#28 2024-03-22 10:35:13

arijo1

I had similar problem with my custom iso (build from official scripts and just zram enabled + more packages added)

Tested on PC with
i5 3470
MB from Veriton X4620G
16GB RAM

I get "Initramfs unpacking failed: invalid magic at start of compressed archive" error.
There is option in BIOS called "boot in CSM first" (or smth like this, don't remember). I disabled it, guess it just disables CSM support and now my ISO works in UEFI mode.

Tested on PC with asrock h97 pro4, also worked.
Also tested on bunch of old laptops and UEFI mode worked properly (Braswell, Ivy Bridge) without messing with BIOS.

#29 2024-03-23 16:28:54

TuxPenPen

Hi. I have a similar problem. I have an asrock extreme3 motherboard and an i7 5930k, I now run an arch installation on UEFI, but I need to reinstall. When I boot in bios mode the iso works perfectly, but when I try it in UEFI mode it immediatly gets stuck with the grub version wrote on the screen, but it seems like I can't interact in any way with the grub shell. I actually booted an arch live iso four months ago because there was a blackout during kernel update (what a luck). So could I just try to use an ISO version from one or two months ago and then update? I read that it worked for someone, but where can I find those old ISOs? Sorry for the bad english (and for the possibly dumb questions). Thanks in advance

#30 2024-03-23 17:41:58

schatzs

The old ISOs are at https://archive.archlinux.org/iso/

The last version that will boot correctly in UEFI mode on my old system is 2023.06.01

#31 2024-03-23 18:30:35

TuxPenPen

Thank you very much. Unfortunately it still doesn't work for me, I also tried the older one but still has the same problem  : (

Last edited by TuxPenPen (2024-03-23 18:38:16)

#32 2024-03-29 21:02:36

monkyyy

Hello I also have the "initramfs" error when booting the arch iso

I been trying to reinstall arch linux as its been years and its been growing more and more unstable I had 2k packages installed, my aur helper complained about random python issues etc.

Most resent download, different usbs, playing around with the bios, etc I cant get it to boot
I tried arco linux (B plasma) also got the *exact same* error
and I tried an slightly old linux mint 21.2 linux usb and that booted

I also tried to do one of the risky "delete all packages" pacman commands, I was going to start fresh and already backed up my files, may as well try; machine is now non functional

So ancient machine, I cant seem to get pure-arch based linux isos to boot, but other distros work; how do I work around the initramfs issue and get some sort of functional machine, is there an arch based distro that someone with the same issue got to work someone could recommend or a "install arch linux with X" article to read

I want the aur and a fairly clean slate

Board footer