You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-31 22:45:52

ugyuu
Website

[SOLVED] Re-Adding Windows as a Boot Option in systemd-boot

Good evening!

My system currently runs Windows and Linux on two separate NVME SSD's (nvme0n1 for Windows, nvme1n1 for linux) as there are certain things that I just cannot get working under Linux. Some apps and games showed buggy behaviour after an update with my KDE, so I decided to re-install Linux fresh, which worked out great. Everything runs smooth now.

However, in doing so, my Windows installation no longer shows up as a bootable device in system-d, and it also no longer shows up as a drive in BIOS.
In KDE Partition Manager/GParted, I am able to still see all drives and the 2 partitions for my Windows SSD, so it is still there.

I was able to have both in systemd-boot in the past, but that might be because I installed windows after Linux. There is a fully set up Windows 11 installation on nvme1n1 that I don't want to lose yet.

I have attempted several methods to hopefully restore this partition. os-prober returns nothing, bootctl only adds my Linux, and I couldn't really figure out efibootmgr...

Now, I am following this guide for Adding a systemd-boot loader Menu entry for a Windows install (separate ESP partition), but got stuck on the 6th step.
I deeply apologize if issues on an EndeavourOS install, though technically "Arch", aren't supported here

Using

sudo blkid | grep vfat

returns an entry for my Linux drive instead:

/dev/nvme0n1p1: UUID="D76E-75D1" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="b978d304-1806-41b6-b2d9-2f153999f06a"

The guide mentions that I need the PARTUUID for my Windows ESP.
My Windows boot(?) partition nvme1n1p1 (the 16MiB partition) cannot be mounted in Linux. I am able to retrieve the Part UUID in KDE Partition Manager, which is 5D08A09F-0851-4CFA-9962-D6EB379211F1, but it shows an "unknown" file system.

On the 6th step of the guide, I found that there are no FS Aliases bound to my Windows Boot partition at all, only the Linux partitions show one:
https://i.imgur.com/3bLxgLO.jpeg (had to add it as a link, wouldn't work as an "[ img ]" for some reason)

I sadly lack the expertise for systemd-boot to investigate further, as I am used to having GRUB instead, where you could sort of force the Windows boot option to show up while setting up Arch Linux, so I am kind of stumped here.

Any help is greatly appreciated and will help me learn more about Linux smile Worst case scenario, I'll try to back up files from the Windows drive and then freshly re-install that too, but I hope I don't have to resort to such a thing.

Last edited by ugyuu (2024-04-05 17:19:24)

Rhythm gaming, streaming nerd who also happens to be learning 3D using Blender. uguu

I showed my favorite rhythm game at ESA Winter 2024!

#2 2024-04-05 17:19:11

ugyuu
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Re-Adding Windows as a Boot Option in systemd-boot

I eventually decided that the best thing to do was to back up files and install a clean Windows on a separate drive. Really wish I could use evenything on Linux, but meh, can't always have that.

Rhythm gaming, streaming nerd who also happens to be learning 3D using Blender. uguu

I showed my favorite rhythm game at ESA Winter 2024!

Board footer