You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-29 21:46:38

nebulous

[SOLVED] Unresolved GPGME error when installing

Hello,

I have been following along with the wiki to install Arch (2024.03). After verifying the ISO and turning Secure Boot off, I boot into the live CD. I have done the following:
- Set the clock
- Connect to the internet (wired connection)
- Mount my 125 gig ext4 root partition and my EFI partition (I am dual-booting with Windows 10).

The next step was to use pacstrap to install the necessary files into the new root. This throws a GPGME error stating "error: GPGME error: no data".

pacstrap -K /mnt base linux linux-firmware
==> Creating install root at /mnt
==> Installing packages to /mnt
error: GPGME error: No data
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core
 extra
error: failed to synchronize all databases (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
==> Error: Failed to install packages to new root

I then tried a series of troubleshooting steps, none of which have worked.
- Adjusting the mirror list to those closer to me.
- Trying to make the keys behave through commands:
   I first ran sudo pacman -Sy, which ran with no errors.
   I then ran sudo pacman-key --init, which ran with no errors.
   I then ran sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux, which ran with no errors.

I tried the pacstrap again and got the same exact message above.

- I have tried reinstalling the keyring (sudo pacman -S archlinux-keyring), which ran successfully, and running the pacman-key commands in the previous step to no avail.

- I tried to rm the gnupg folder in pacman.d:

sudo rm -rf /etc/pacman.d/gnupg
rm: cannot remove '/etc/pacman.d/gnupg': Device or resource busy 

- I then tried to remove the sync folder:

sudo rm -r /var/lib/pacman/sync

This ran with no issue. I then tried sudo pacman-key --init and sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux. The second command throws an error.

sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux
==> ERROR: There is no secret key available to sign with.
==> Use 'pacman-key --init' to generate a default secret key

I go back and execute pacman-key --init again and get an error message:

pacman-key --init
==> Generating pacman master key. This may take some time.
gpg: Generating pacman keyring master key...
gpg: agent_genkey failed: No such file or directory
gpg: key generation failed: No such file or directory
gpg: Done 
==> Updating trust database...
gpg: no need for a trustdb check

- Thought it could still be the mirrors for a bit. Tried to install rank-mirrors (and rankmirrors and rate-mirrors, etc.) but none of these were found in the repos.

- Getting desperate, I try a pacman -Syu, but seemingly do not have enough storage space on root in the live CD, which confuses me.
  My flash drive I am using this on is a 16GB SanDisk unit with 14.3 GB free after putting the Arch installer on it. Skipping some code:

sudo pacman -Syu
Total download size: 558.56 MiB
Total Installed Size: 1027.48 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 29.84 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
error: Partition / too full: 146322 blocks needed, 62461 blocks free
error: failed to commit transaction (not enough free disk space)
Error occurred, no packages were upgraded.

- Recreating the USB Live CD from scratch and starting over yields the same errors. I am using RUFUS on Windows and using GPT, not MBR.

I am at a loss and have no clue how to "repair" this keyring. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can provide more code if needed.
I am connected to the internet this whole time through an Ethernet adapter. Pinging 1.1.1.1 and archlinux.org works with acceptable latency.
Core.db does take some time to read once I call pacman -Sy.
Yes, the partitions are mounted.
Not sure if it matters, but if it does, I am running a ThinkPad X390 with an i7-10510U.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by nebulous (2024-04-02 17:22:06)

#2 2024-03-30 12:51:10

quoin

Re: [SOLVED] Unresolved GPGME error when installing

Re your `pacman -Syu`: I believe the arch manual install process involves these two steps (among other steps):

1. Create a simple working system by unpacking files.  Here, you're supposed to be running in the "host" system provided by the live CD.
2. chroot into that system and run pacman.  Here, you're supposed to be running in the "guest" chroot system that the file unpacking just created (not a VM, but somewhat similar)
3. Later on, you boot into that system "natively" rather than chrooting into it from the live CD

Is it possible that you were trying to run `pacman -Syu` in the "host" live CD system, without first `chroot`ing?

As for your original problem: have you tried to verify that both SSD is working correctly (that's what you mean by "flash drive", right? not a thumb drive but a thing built into your laptop?)?  And your CD and laptop CD drive likewise (I see you tried burning the CD again -- good, but maybe the second had the same problem as the first)?  Have you tried booting from USB instead?

#3 2024-03-30 17:52:37

nebulous

Hey, thanks for the response.

I should clarify a couple of things, my bad.
I am installing onto the SSD from a thumb drive both times, when I reference the 'live CD' environment I am talking about the environment on thumb drive I am using to install.

Re: pacman -Syu, yes, I do think that I was trying to run pacman -Syu in the live CD, which doesn't make much sense. I was hoping to see if it would fix anything at that point since the pacstrap would not work for anything.

Re: the drives, I have had no issues with this drive running Windows. I am fairly sure this is a good thumb drive and the SSD built into the laptop has had no issues when running on Windows or other Linux distributions. I have used this same thumb drive to install Fedora with no issues.
I will note, however, that the boot drive is showing as remount -ro when I generate the fstab file; unsure if this is something that I need to be worrying about at this stage. The main partition I want to install on has mounted fine.

The only thing I can think of at this point is if something went wrong during the process of creating the thumb drive. Aside from that, it seems that I am a bit hosed if I am unable to create a filesystem on the SSD with pacstrap.

#4 2024-03-30 19:33:25

seth

What's theo outpuot of "df -h" before running pacstrap?

#5 2024-03-30 20:16:11

nebulous

Here is the output of df -h:

df -h
Filesystem     Size     Used  Avail  Use%  Mounted on
dev            7.5G        0  7.5G     0%  /dev
run            7.6G     9.6M  7.6G     1%  /run
efivarfs       246K      51K  191K    21%  /sys/firmware/efivars
copytoram       12G     788M   11G     7%  /run/archiso/copytoram
cowspace       256M      21M  236M     9%  /run/archiso/cowspace
/dev/loop0     788M     788M     0   100%  /run/archiso/airootfs
airootfs       256M      21M  236M     9%  /
tmpfs          7.6G        0  7.6G     0%  /dev/shm   
tmpfs          7.6G        0  7.6G     0%  /tmp
tmpfs          7.6G     2.6M  7.6G     1%  /etc/pacman.d/gnupg
tmpfs          1.6G     8.0K  1.6G     1%  /run/user/0
/dev/nvme0n1p4 123G      11M  117G     1%  /mnt 
/dev/nvme0n1p1 256M     187M   70M    73%  /mnt/boot

#6 2024-03-30 22:35:45

seth

Superficially looks fine - did you verify the boot medium (md5 or sha)?

#7 2024-03-30 23:34:14

nebulous

Up until now, I thought I did, at least properly. Getting some mixed answers through different methods.
Another thing to note: today I am using the 03.29 dated ISO due to the backdoor. This is still giving me the same problems as the earlier ISO. I am using the mirror from the University of Arizona since it is the closest to my location.

Since I am on Windows now, I used GPG4Win with Kleopatra, which said that the signature was valid and fully trusted (Pierre Schmitz).

I then booted up Ubuntu through WSL and used gpg there. While the key fingerprint matches (9A5C), gpg in Ubuntu says that the key is not certified with a trusted signature. I did in fact place both the ISO and ISO signature file in the same folder in Ubuntu. No other ISO or ISO signatures were present. The ISO and ISO signature are from the same mirror.

Using PowerShell to get the file hash using SHA1 yields a key that does not match any of the master keys.
Really uncertain now what to trust and what not to trust...

Below is code from the gpg command in Ubuntu WSL:

gpg: key 76A5EF9054449A5C: public key "Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.org>" imported
gpg: key 7F2D434B9741E8AC: public key "Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.org>" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 2
gpg:               imported: 2
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
gpg: Good signature from "Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.org>" [unknown]
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 3E80 CA1A 8B89 F69C BA57  D98A 76A5 EF90 5444 9A5C

#8 2024-03-31 08:31:42

seth

The idea is to test whether the usb key matches the SHA256 (currently "764ca6b3c6e726cacdce5e116f949a1244fb1907ebdc0e8bf089fe98878d9893", https://archlinux.org/download/ )

I'm asking because the problem is quite possibly

I am using RUFUS on Windows

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/USB_fl … sing_Rufus
Otherwise, if you can, just write the image using dd.

The key there is ok, that's not the problem.

#9 2024-04-02 17:21:30

nebulous

Issue is Solved now. Used a different ISO image writer. Surprised it caused that much of a problem.

Board footer