You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-01 06:01:39

OpusOne

Changes in wireplumber 0.5 and settings

Hi, I've heard that there were changes in wireplumber 0.5 that may require changing its settings, but I couldn't really find any guide explaining what.

I have kept my older settings for wireplumber and everything seems to work, except that I had disabled suspend for my onboard HDA sound card (via the recommended 51-disable-suspension.lua script, that I had put in /etc/wireplumber/main.lua.d , but it doesn't seem to work anymore and I think the onboard sound card now goes to suspend after a couple minutes as if this script had no effect.

Any help appreciated, and sorry if this all obvious migration stuff that I missed.

#2 2024-04-01 10:32:39

just4arch

Re: Changes in wireplumber 0.5 and settings

#3 2024-04-01 22:01:09

OpusOne

Probably. I think it could be mentioned in the Arch wiki, as it still refers to the old format, and is now obsolete.

This decision of the wireplumber maintainer absolutely sucks. Incredible.

#4 2024-04-02 03:22:48

OpusOne

So, for anyone who could use some help for migrating (and read the page just4arch linked to above):

- Lua configuration files are no longer supported, so you basically have to redo all your config. The config files are now some variant of JSON.
- Paths also have changed a bit. All your custom config files must be in the wireplumber/wireplumber.conf.d subdirectory (for instance: ~/.config/wireplumber/wireplumber.conf.d for your user config files.)
- One thing that trapped me is that you now *need* a master config file for wireplumber - it won't read anything in the wireplumber.conf.d directory unless you have a wireplumber.conf file at the same level. Previously, I didn't even have a master config file, had just put some config files in main.lua.d/, and that was it. Not so anymore.

- You can start by copying the example master config file from : /usr/share/wireplumber/wireplumber.conf
- then create the wireplumber.conf.d/ subdirectory. In which you can put additional config files.

Finally, here is my translation of the 51-disable-suspension.lua config translated for wireplumber 0.5+:

51-disable-suspension.conf

monitor.alsa.rules = [
  {
    matches = [
      {
        node.name = "~alsa_input.*"
      }
      {
        node.name = "~alsa_output.*"
      }
    ]
    actions = {
      update-props = {
        session.suspend-timeout-seconds = 0
      }
    }
  }
]

If that can help anyone save some time figuring out how to migrate.

#5 2024-04-02 07:46:00

just4arch

Well, this was also just in this very forum: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=294241 (it ended up in the Pipewire section)
The Wiki Talk page has some info on why it hasn't been updated yet, so feel free to rework the sections wink

#6 2024-04-02 20:53:25

OpusOne

Hi, yes some info as in "but I don't feel like handling these updates right now. " smile
I don't blame at all. This change was "unexpected" and not completely trivial to figure out in full, it took me a while.
I have never contributed to the wiki so far - so I wouldn't feel completely qualified to do it. The information I put above is just a starting point and I don't think it even scratches the surface, but hopefully it can help some in the meantime to get started.

As to the change itself, I understand that wireplumber is becoming more or less an integral part of pipewire and thus they wanted to use a common configuration file format, which is a variant of JSON. And while some keys have the exact same identifiers as before, some have changed and I couldn't really find a complete list of them so far, so for now it's a bit of trial and error.

#7 2024-04-21 15:57:52

Urgentemente

OpusOne wrote:

So, for anyone who could use some help for migrating (and read the page just4arch linked to above):

- Lua configuration files are no longer supported, so you basically have to redo all your config. The config files are now some variant of JSON.
- Paths also have changed a bit. All your custom config files must be in the wireplumber/wireplumber.conf.d subdirectory (for instance: ~/.config/wireplumber/wireplumber.conf.d for your user config files.)
- One thing that trapped me is that you now *need* a master config file for wireplumber - it won't read anything in the wireplumber.conf.d directory unless you have a wireplumber.conf file at the same level. Previously, I didn't even have a master config file, had just put some config files in main.lua.d/, and that was it. Not so anymore.

- You can start by copying the example master config file from : /usr/share/wireplumber/wireplumber.conf
- then create the wireplumber.conf.d/ subdirectory. In which you can put additional config files.

Finally, here is my translation of the 51-disable-suspension.lua config translated for wireplumber 0.5+:

51-disable-suspension.conf

monitor.alsa.rules = [
  {
    matches = [
      {
        node.name = "~alsa_input.*"
      }
      {
        node.name = "~alsa_output.*"
      }
    ]
    actions = {
      update-props = {
        session.suspend-timeout-seconds = 0
      }
    }
  }
]

If that can help anyone save some time figuring out how to migrate.

Thanks a LOT for posting this, I just finally updated to Plasma 6 plus a bunch of other stuff that was outstanding, one of which was wireplumber , and had the 3 second pause return on audio restart, this saved me some head scratching to convert to the new format on a lazy Sunday afternoon !

Last edited by Urgentemente (2024-04-21 15:58:27)

Board footer