You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-02 22:58:33

millions024

"Unable to connect to libvirt qemu:///system."

Using virt-manager, here's the error i get. last updated my system when the xz thing happened if needed

Unable to connect to libvirt qemu:///system.

Failed to connect socket to '/var/run/libvirt/virtqemud-sock': No such file or directory

Libvirt URI is: qemu:///system

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 923, in _do_open
    self._backend.open(cb, data)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtinst/connection.py", line 171, in open
    conn = libvirt.openAuth(self._open_uri,
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 147, in openAuth
    raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
libvirt.libvirtError: Failed to connect socket to '/var/run/libvirt/virtqemud-sock': No such file or directory

installed virt-manager and qemu-full through yay -S (so pacman)

Last edited by millions024 (2024-04-02 22:59:16)

#2 2024-04-03 11:30:48

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: "Unable to connect to libvirt qemu:///system."

You have followed https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Libvirt#Configuration ?

Why are you using an unsupported aur helper to install packages from official repos ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2024-04-03 16:09:28

millions024

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Why are you using an unsupported aur helper to install packages from official repos ?

If i put in a package name that's in an official repo into yay it acts the same as if i had done pacman -S instead (i assume)

Lone_Wolf wrote:

I didn't before this, but I got it working by following this guide.

#4 2024-04-04 07:53:33

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

If i put in a package name that's in an official repo into yay it acts the same as if i had done pacman -S instead (i assume)

Don't assume, investigate . Read https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AUR_helpers and especially pay attention to the orange boxes.

run the 2 commands mentioned in https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Libvirt#Test and post the full output (including the commands themselves).

Add the output of

$ systemctl status libvirtd.service
$ systemctl status virtlogd.service

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#5 2024-04-05 20:05:53

millions024

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Don't assume, investigate . Read https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AUR_helpers and especially pay attention to the orange boxes.

run the 2 commands mentioned in https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Libvirt#Test and post the full output (including the commands themselves).

Add the output of

$ systemctl status libvirtd.service
$ systemctl status virtlogd.service

Outputs of the test commands:

░▒▓    ~  virsh -c qemu:///system                                                                                                                              ✔  04:03:39 PM  ▓▒░
error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
error: Failed to connect socket to '/var/run/libvirt/virtqemud-sock': No such file or directory

░▒▓    ~  virsh -c qemu:///session                                                                                                                           1 ✘  04:03:39 PM  ▓▒░
Welcome to virsh, the virtualization interactive terminal.

Type:  'help' for help with commands
       'quit' to quit

virsh # 

output of the 2 you showed: (also including me enabling them because they were disabled before)

░▒▓    ~  sudo systemctl enable libvirtd.service                                                                                                             3 ✘  04:04:22 PM  ▓▒░
[sudo] password for millions: 
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/libvirtd.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/libvirtd.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/virtlockd.socket → /usr/lib/systemd/system/virtlockd.socket.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/virtlogd.socket → /usr/lib/systemd/system/virtlogd.socket.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/libvirtd.socket → /usr/lib/systemd/system/libvirtd.socket.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/libvirtd-ro.socket → /usr/lib/systemd/system/libvirtd-ro.socket.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/libvirtd-admin.socket → /usr/lib/systemd/system/libvirtd-admin.socket.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/virtlockd-admin.socket → /usr/lib/systemd/system/virtlockd-admin.socket.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/virtlogd-admin.socket → /usr/lib/systemd/system/virtlogd-admin.socket.

░▒▓    ~  sudo systemctl enable virtlogd.service                                                                                                               ✔  04:04:35 PM  ▓▒░
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/virtlogd.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/virtlogd.service.

░▒▓    ~  systemctl status libvirtd.service                                                                                                                    ✔  04:04:43 PM  ▓▒░
○ libvirtd.service - libvirt legacy monolithic daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/libvirtd.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
TriggeredBy: ○ libvirtd.socket
             ○ libvirtd-ro.socket
             ○ libvirtd-admin.socket
       Docs: man:libvirtd(8)
             https://libvirt.org/

░▒▓    ~  systemctl status virtlogd.service                                                                                                                  3 ✘  04:04:45 PM  ▓▒░
○ virtlogd.service - libvirt logging daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/virtlogd.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
TriggeredBy: ○ virtlogd.socket
             ○ virtlogd-admin.socket
       Docs: man:virtlogd(8)
             https://libvirt.org/

░▒▓    ~            

#6 2024-04-06 10:04:16

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Ok, now re-run the virsh test commands with those services active.

Board footer