You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-26 00:30:50

syhomadara

[SOLVED] nvidia-smi graphic driver problem

Hi. I installed the Nvidia driver 2 weeks ago and it was working. After a while, I uninstalled it for some reason but now I get these errors:

nvidia-smi

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Output of lspci -k | grep -A 2 -E "(VGA|3D)"

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics] (rev 05)
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics]
    Kernel driver in use: i915
--
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q] (rev a1)
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q]
    Kernel modules: nouveau
--
06:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Sandisk Corp SanDisk Ultra 3D / WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Sandisk Corp WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD
    Kernel driver in use: nvme

pacman -Qs nvidia

local/egl-wayland 2:1.1.13-1
    EGLStream-based Wayland external platform
local/libvdpau 1.5-2
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/libxnvctrl 550.54.14-1
    NVIDIA NV-CONTROL X extension
local/nvidia-lts 1:550.67-1
    NVIDIA drivers for linux-lts
local/nvidia-utils 550.67-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities
local/xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.17-2 (xorg-drivers)
    Open Source 3D acceleration driver for nVidia cards

After search I saw some solutions to install from nvidia site but I got this error:

ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.  This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to
         build the target kernel, or if another driver, such as nouveau, is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA device(s), or no NVIDIA device installed in this system is supported by
         this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.                                                                                                                                                                                          

Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load error' and 'Kernel messages' at the end of the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for more information. 

Last edited by syhomadara (2024-04-11 17:35:32)

#2 2024-03-26 02:39:12

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] nvidia-smi graphic driver problem

Have you followed all 6 steps outlined on the nvidia wiki page? Are you running the correct kernel?

#3 2024-03-26 10:32:51

syhomadara

Scimmia wrote:

Have you followed all 6 steps outlined on the nvidia wiki page? Are you running the correct kernel?

Yeah, I followed Wiki step by step. Sorry, I'm new what do you mean by "correct kernel"?

This is uname -a output

Linux 6.7.9-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and ls /boot

EFI                               initramfs-linux-lts.img
grub                              intel-ucode.img
initramfs-linux-fallback.img      vmlinuz-linux
initramfs-linux.img               vmlinuz-linux-lts
initramfs-linux-lts-fallback.img

Last edited by syhomadara (2024-03-26 10:58:45)

#4 2024-03-26 10:39:32

V1del
Forum Moderator

That's the wrong kernel, you only installed nvidia for LTS and you are not booting the LTS kernel. (and even if it wasn't, then your kernel would be out of date, update your system, install the nvidia package if you want to use  it with the linux kernel)

Also please post command outputs wiith [ code ] rather than [ quote ] tags.

#5 2024-03-26 10:54:56

syhomadara

V1del wrote:

That's the wrong kernel, you only installed nvidia for LTS and you are not booting the LTS kernel. (and even if it wasn't, then your kernel would be out of date, update your system, install the nvidia package if you want to use  it with the linux kernel)

Also please post command outputs with [ code ] rather than [ quote ] tags.

Thanks for the tips. I forgot [ code ] tags. I have a bad internet connection I will update the system and say the results.
Can I ask a question? How did you realize that it is out of date?

Last edited by syhomadara (2024-03-26 10:58:01)

#6 2024-03-27 10:44:20

syhomadara

V1del wrote:

Update your system, install the Nvidia packag

Thanks, it worked.
How can I close the topic?

#7 2024-03-27 11:47:47

V1del
Forum Moderator

You can edit the subject line in your first post and prepend [SOLVED] or so.

As for the question on how I knew, both the pacman output and the uname -r showed that you didn't have the nvidia package and your kernel was at 6.7.9 while 6.8.1 would've been current. Generally speaking even with a bad internet connection, do not pick and match singular pieces, you always need to update your entire system. https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System … nsupported

#8 2024-04-11 17:37:26

syhomadara

V1del wrote:

You can edit the subject line in your first post and prepend [SOLVED] or so.

As for the question on how I knew, both the pacman output and the uname -r showed that you didn't have the nvidia package and your kernel was at 6.7.9 while 6.8.1 would've been current. Generally speaking even with a bad internet connection, do not pick and match singular pieces, you always need to update your entire system. https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System … nsupported

Thanks a lot for the complete explanation.

Board footer