You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-17 12:25:38

bones
Website

I'm gonna be ill!

I nearly choked on my breakfast when I read this
http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;8 … p;2;fpid;1

All I can say is let's see the evidence. Hey Ballmer guess what I just did with the one windows machine left in my home?  "format C:"  oops and I just broke the windows cd  wink Oh well I'll have to now install linux damn.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#2 2006-11-17 13:10:32

ndlarsen

Re: I'm gonna be ill!

"Novell pays us some money for the right to tell customers that anybody who uses SUSE Linux is appropriately covered," Ballmer said. This "is important to us, because [otherwise] we believe every Linux customer basically has an undisclosed balance-sheet liability."

Who siad mobster?

I made it long
as I lacked the time to make it short...

#3 2006-11-17 19:07:02

lumiwa

bones wrote:

I nearly choked on my breakfast when I read this
http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;8 … p;2;fpid;1

All I can say is let's see the evidence. Hey Ballmer guess what I just did with the one windows machine left in my home?  "format C:"  oops and I just broke the windows cd  wink Oh well I'll have to now install linux damn.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/art … Id=9005171

I think that is my link same as your? I cannot open yours.

#4 2006-11-17 21:58:36

pbw

It's the same article lumiwa

#5 2006-11-18 02:05:10

Alphalutra1

Is he on crack?  Enough said  tongue

I don't detest Microsoft with a vile passion, but he is definately stretching it by saying that the linux kernel is stealing from microsoft?  Like what, security bugs and instability lol

Alphalutra1

#6 2006-12-14 20:23:34

arew264
Website

Yea, I have to say, this is more funny than threatening.

In my head this translates to:
"We decided to make a deal with these people because we realized subconciously that the only way we could beat them was by sueing them until the court fees made them go away:

#7 2006-12-15 03:11:31

Anarion

I get angry when i hear about this sort of shit. especially when M$ are taking ideas from the Open Source community and put in their own programs and make people pay for it.

#8 2006-12-15 03:33:01

twiistedkaos

Anarion wrote:

I get angry when i hear about this sort of shit. especially when M$ are taking ideas from the Open Source community and put in their own programs and make people pay for it.

Indeed, Microsoft should just leave linux users alone. They are only becomming mad because Linux is gaining some popularity over the years and just want a piece of the pie. Personally though, I'll never pay for a Linux operating system, linux wasn't ever meant to be that way, and you can't steal ideas, if that were the case then we all should be in jail, so what if the linux kernel has a few things that the windows operating system does. Microsoft has built their entire empire on stealing other operating systems ideas, so shouldnt Microsoft be sued?

#9 2006-12-15 03:43:29

Anarion

Its sad that I did not record the conversation i had with an employee on M$ where he told me that they are taking ideas from the open source community...

#10 2006-12-16 02:04:08

bones
Website

Anarion wrote:

Its sad that I did not record the conversation i had with an employee on M$ where he told me that they are taking ideas from the open source community...

Gee! Why doesn't that surprise me, If you can't beat them then just steal their idea, But at least have the b*lls to acknowledge that, I might respect them more if they said that they used someone else's idea and give credit where it's due!

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#11 2006-12-20 16:32:39

sarah31
Website

twiistedkaos wrote:

Indeed, Microsoft should just leave linux users alone. They are only becomming mad because Linux is gaining some popularity over the years and just want a piece of the pie. Personally though, I'll never pay for a Linux operating system, linux wasn't ever meant to be that way, and you can't steal ideas, if that were the case then we all should be in jail, so what if the linux kernel has a few things that the windows operating system does. Microsoft has built their entire empire on stealing other operating systems ideas, so shouldnt Microsoft be sued?

Actually it is all a part of keeping their monopoly. They cannot go after Apple since they have a fairly healthy bank roll. They can go after the major Linux Distributors because they know that most cannot and will not want to fight a protracted legal dispute.

RH has the right idea in trying to get MS play their hand. MS likely has no real claim or it a vague set of code that is similar to something in Vista. The whole idea is though that if you bang your chest loud enough the lesser business will ALWAYS give in.

Frankly I think this tell me more about the condition of businesses like SUSE more than stupid claims by MS that they own the rights to all computer code ever written. If SUSE can fold like a paper cup on such vague and cryptic claims then they cannot be doing well.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#12 2006-12-20 16:59:07

ndlarsen

sarah31 wrote:

Actually it is all a part of keeping their monopoly. They cannot go after Apple since they have a fairly healthy bank roll.

Actually, I believe MS already tried that years back and got overruled by the court, ...or was it IBM they had a go at?

sarah31 wrote:

Frankly I think this tell me more about the condition of businesses like SUSE more than stupid claims by MS that they own the rights to all computer code ever written. If SUSE can fold like a paper cup on such vague and cryptic claims then they cannot be doing well.

A fairly harsh assumption given we have no facts. Do not get me wrong on this, I am not behind Novell in this one but who knows, perhaps they are doing well, just not well enough to match the buttomline of MS (then again, I cannot think of any software company who can). Either way, depending of your point of view, this might in fact imply that SuSE as a whole are doing quite well and gaining ground since MS are actually bothered with it.

I made it long
as I lacked the time to make it short...

#13 2006-12-20 20:58:19

deficite

Remember kids: Hitler was very delusional before he died as well. And then, he shot himself.

#14 2006-12-20 21:03:52

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Godwin's Law has been invoked.

#15 2006-12-20 21:11:08

arooaroo
Website

deficite wrote:

Remember kids: Hitler was very delusional before he died as well. And then, he shot himself.

Er, right, that's appropriate.

You know what, perhaps it does. Perhaps code to read/write FAT partitions technically infringes IP, for example. Perhaps Mr Balmer is genuine in his belief. The issue here is that software IP is such a massive grey area. Because MS also infringes other people's IP too. We all love a good story when we here how MS is being sued for not licensing the appropriate patient or IP infringement. However, it's just as bad as Linux vendor being sued.

The point is that people like Balmer shouldn't have that belief in the first place, regardless of the sincerity, because the patent system shouldn't be so woefully abused in the case of software. The system is to blame for allowing this type of tit-for-tat to continue and allows the likes of MS and SCO to make unspecific threats to stir up a bit of fear.

Board footer