You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-12 19:03:19

kondor1554

Blue Screen of Death

Hi all,

I recently installed arch and ran into some issues setting up the GUI.

At first I installed xfce4 + lightdm.

After having installed lightdm, the GUI initialized automatically and I was able to use the desktop as usual.

However, after restart, I was greeted by a blue login screen with the arch logo in a lighter blue. Correct login attempts to either root or my user route back to the same login screen after a brief pause (screen turns black).

After some light reading I noticed people complaining about lightdm not working so I uninstalled and installed sddm. Same behavior after reboot.

Finally, I decided to switch to gnome altogether so I uninstalled xfce4 and sddm and installed gnome.

After restarting I get the same damn blue login screen (which is not gdm).

At this point I'm starting to think it's an issue with my discrete 4080 laptop GPU, but need some direction to confirm. No clue where to go for looking for logs.

New Lenovo p1 G6 laptop.

#2 2024-04-12 19:16:13

Judge

Re: Blue Screen of Death

sudo journalctl -b | curl -F 'file=@-' 0x0.st | tee >(xsel -i 2>/dev/null) >(qrencode -t ANSIUTF8 2>/dev/null)

This will get the journal from the current boot (-b) and output it to a url at 0x0.st. Share the url here so others can see the logs and assist further.

Journalctl is in general the place to start looking at logs for Arch.

#3 2024-04-13 03:22:46

kondor1554

Here is the url: http://0x0.st/X-eE.txt

Just as an aside - any clue why my browser is not displaying anything under that url? Running just 'sudo journalctl -b' in terminal shows me the logs. (using w/e browser defaults w/ gnome)

Update: Figured this out by going through the logs - totally forgot i had installed the xdm-archlinux package before any of the other display managers. Removing that package and its dependencies resolved my issue.

Thank you for the help, Judge!

Last edited by kondor1554 (2024-04-13 05:10:55)

#4 2024-04-13 07:38:17

seth

Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.

Board footer