You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-17 12:04:07

Warrington-Seale

Failed to mount /boot after upgrade

Hello,

I was upgrading my system with pacman -Syu and the power went out.

Now when I try to boot my arch installation I am getting the errors:

Failed to mount /boot
Dependency failed for Local File Systems
Failed to mount /run/media/Bigbigbig (my HDD, not where system is installed)
You are in emergency mode. After logging in type journalctl -xb to view system logs, systemctl reboot to reboot, or exit to continue boot up
Give root password for maintenance
Or press ctrl-d to continue

However my keyboard is non responsive - feels like the keystrokes are not being recorded.

Could you please provide guidance how to troubleshoot this issue? I have tried to run pacman -Syu from live iso, and it wnet through, but the system still does not work.

Kindly thank you!

I have tried

#2 2024-04-17 15:40:34

seth

Re: Failed to mount /boot after upgrade

The usual cause is that you forgot to mount the /boot partition, updated the kernel into the wrong location and are now booting an old kernel that lacks various on-disk modules.
The fallback initramfs might actually still suffice in that case (at least to get you a keyboard)

The alternative is that you're spuriously mounting a /boot partition but are actually booting from the root partition.
Inspecting "lsblk -f" and the fstab of the installed system as well as a journal on the installed system (is the kernel referenced in a /boot directory? Then you're booting from the root partition) will hint you those conditions.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System … al_to_view

Board footer