You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-17 14:13:36

Aurel300

[SOLVED] X does not start after update, no logs

Something went wrong during a system update. The computer froze and the capslock (on a Thinkpad P15 Gen 1) flashed until I rebooted manually. Boot was broken, so I re-installed linux, which fixed this issue.

Now, I am having trouble restoring X. Most of the resources I find suggest to have a look at the generated log file when running startx or xinit. However, as far as I can tell, no log is generated, neither in /var/log, nor ~/.local/share/xorg. The output of startx is simply:

/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 2: /usr/bin/X: Success
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

This happens with both an empty ~/.xinitrc, as well as one which worked previously (which just ended in exec i3). There is no ~/.xserverrc.

journalctl -b, /etc/X11/xorg.conf, strace xinit (if it helps)

nvidia-open is installed, previously it was just nvidia, same result. I tried with the config generated by nvidia-xconfig as well. I am not sure how to start debugging without a log file.

Last edited by Aurel300 (2024-04-17 15:42:42)

#2 2024-04-17 15:22:52

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] X does not start after update, no logs

Get rid of the xorg.conf, and you have conflicting services enabled, disable wpa_supplicant and systemd-networkd if using NetworkManager NetworkManager will automatically invoke it on demand.

Check your /var/log/pacman.log and reinstall all packages that were part of the crashing transaction. If that didn't help post

sudo LC_ALL=C pacman -Qkk | grep -v ', 0 altered files'

Last edited by V1del (2024-04-17 15:23:46)

#3 2024-04-17 15:42:11

Aurel300

Re: [SOLVED] X does not start after update, no logs

Ah indeed, Xorg was just an empty file (along with a bunch of other files). Deleting them and re-installing the xorg-server package solved the problem. Sorry for the wpa_supplicant noise!

Board footer