You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-31 19:30:56

_lex_1234

[Solved] Plasma cant start after crashed update

Hi,

Again my system crashed during a system update including plasma components.

I can now start sddm, but Plasma-wayland won't start. xfce ( and sddm) works though.

http://0x0.st/XzQS.txt

See time around 21:24

Thanks for any advice,

Alexander.

Last edited by _lex_1234 (2024-04-01 05:13:47)

#2 2024-03-31 22:10:55

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [Solved] Plasma cant start after crashed update

sudo touch /etc/systemd/do-not-udevadm-trigger-on-update

Then check your pacman.log and reinstall every package from the failed transaction, post the output of

sudo LC_ALL=C pacman -Qkk | grep -v ', 0 altered files'

in doubt

#3 2024-03-31 23:38:30

seth

V1del wrote:

Do you know whether there's any discussion to add that to filesystem or systemd (or anywhere else)?
The recent amount of "I updated, system crashed and no longer boots" streak starts to get worrysome…

#4 2024-04-01 05:13:33

_lex_1234

Thanks!

V1del wrote:

Then check your pacman.log and reinstall every package from the failed transaction, post the output of

sudo LC_ALL=C pacman -Qkk | grep -v ', 0 altered files'

in doubt

Doing that and reinstalling the problematic packages fixed the problem for me.

Alex.

#5 2024-04-01 14:50:09

V1del
Forum Moderator

seth wrote:
V1del wrote:

Do you know whether there's any discussion to add that to filesystem or systemd (or anywhere else)?
The recent amount of "I updated, system crashed and no longer boots" streak starts to get worrysome…

One could just relevantly adjust the systemd-reload hook (which isn't upstream, but from Arch, but the *suggestion* to run udevadm trigger on updates/changes comes from upstream, i.e. the links in our old friend https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/77789 ) I could certainly try to bring it up again, but going by that report eworm was pretty adamant on wanting to follow the upstream suggestion here (... which I still think is insane seeing the amount of bugs this can trigger that one has no control over)

#6 2024-04-01 16:43:01

seth

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/77789 is closed as "Fixed" but the situation is anything but that and has, at least on the BBS, drastically accelerated over the past 1-2 months
This is not an acceptable condition. Arch is a rolling release distro but users should now be reasonably concerned to run updates because it's not unlikely to completely corrupt the system.
We don't know for sure whether this is (still) the trigger, but it would be a seriously good idea to deactivate it, see whether the "my system completely broke on Syu" frequency goes down over the next quarter and in that case keep it off until upstream can suggest how to trigger that with exactly zero bullets in the chamber. Not five.

#7 2024-04-05 21:47:15

seth

Hi, do you still recall the nature of the update crash?
Did the system suddenly reboot or did it stall and you then rebooted it with the power button?

---
This is a mass-inquiry, so please excuse if your thread actually detailed that.
We're trying to get some data on the situation, so it would be very helpful if you can just briefly respond.
Thanks a lot.

#8 2024-04-06 05:58:52

_lex_1234

seth wrote:

Did the system suddenly reboot or did it stall and you then rebooted it with the power button?

---
We're trying to get some data on the situation, so it would be very helpful if you can just briefly respond.
Thanks a lot.

Hi, it was the second:
The system stalled during update.
This happened during ' Running post-transaction hooks' (i made a picture). Last message was ' (2/9)reloading system manager configuration'
There was a complete system freeze. I couldn't change to other tty's or anything.

In the end I had to resort to reboot using the power button.

#9 2024-04-17 21:58:46

0xwojak

seth wrote:

---
Thanks a lot.

Hi Seth, don't know if it is still useful. Just in case it is.

It reliably happens on `(2/9)reloading system manager configuration` phase. Laptop freezes. Can't switch tty. Unsurprisingly almost always corrupts pacman database.

Im on Blade 15 with 3080. Only started to happen with 550 driver. Does not happen with Nouveau.

Very likely related to https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/s … /284772/64

#10 2024-04-18 07:35:13

seth

Board footer