You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-30 19:05:30

johnahnase

[SOLVED] Audio jack disaster

I've a Line Out on the back of my Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard with a 3.5mm plug broken off inside of it that I've not managed to remove.

The plug I'm using for my Z170 headphones is slightly bent, but works easily when adjusted right on a different machine.

I've tried a few other jacks, like 'rear' and 'c/sub', and they all produce very low volume sound unto only the left channel of my headphones. The front chassi jack seems out of commission.

The alsa-tools program hdajackretask has no apparent effect. I tried retasking everything under the Realtek ALC1150 card to 'Not connected' to no effect.

In alsamixer, the Master and PCM volume-controls affect the audio level. I'm unsure whether the Surround, Center etc. did.

I've removed all seeming extraneous packages such that what I've now got is the alsa stuff.

Sound worked similarly poorly as described using audacious and some other couple multimedia apps.

Goal is, I just need a line out to work right enough.

Last edited by johnahnase (2024-04-19 04:41:50)

#2 2024-04-19 04:41:28

johnahnase

Re: [SOLVED] Audio jack disaster

Sound works with proper volume out of all 'out'-type jacks. Except the plugged up one, of course. Seems a hardware issue that the right channel doesn't come on, so I'll be getting a new 3.5 plug for that.

I think simply reinstalling pipewire properly and enabling the user unit fixed the volume issue, but I do also have some extra alsa packages installed. It seems the sound worked at low volume before in spite of the pipewire unit not running at all, and I'm not sure I even had wireplumber installed.

Board footer