You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-11 15:56:23

rupeshforu3

The Linux Documentation Project tldp complete tar bal for download.

Hi I am Rupesh from India and have installed Linux on my system and learning it through experimenting. So I love to read Linux ebooks. So I have searched web for free books available on Unix and Linux Operating Systems and found a website which maintains and shares documentation called tldp.org.

tldp.org was started around 1991 and many people contributed by uploading their thoughts and documentation through html and pdfs but the work was stopped around 2010.

For example the website consists of the pdf with name "Linux Administration Made Easy (LAME)" and it is with in the downloaded folder.

I have downloaded complete website which consists of a number of html files, pdf files and text files.

The download has taken upto 4 days completely I mean 100 hours without power off.

I have downloaded this website using wget utility by the following command

wget -mpEk -t 1000 https://tldp.org/

Wget has downloaded all webpages and images from local and other websites. Finally the index.html is browsable offline and we can access all the web pages offline I mean without internet.

I have compressed the downloaded folder using tar utility and uploaded to Google drive and it's size is 3 GB.

The folder consists of 6 lakh files.

I opened the index.html in my Linux System Firefox web browser and tried to open other links and working perfectly but I opened index.html in my Android tablet Firefox web browser and tried to open other links but it is being redirected to online website.

I think that this .tar.gz file is useful to you and so I am sharing with you.

Download the file to your computer or tablet read the html pages or pdfs and enjoy.

The link is given below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cEncbC … p=drivesdk

Regards,
Rupesh.

#2 2024-04-12 01:52:50

rupeshforu3

Re: The Linux Documentation Project tldp complete tar bal for download.

I have modified the permissions of the tar ball to anyone on internet with the link can view.

Try to download and read the contents.

#3 2024-04-12 08:08:40

seth

The download has taken upto 4 days completely I mean 100 hours without power off.

Can you please stop heating up the planet and causing other people traffic costs while discovering how the internet works?

Why would anyone, literally *anyone* download a 3GB tarball to see a 50kB - possibly outdated - document they can just open.
tldp also as the sources as docbook on github…

#4 2024-04-12 13:42:01

rupeshforu3

It consists of full documentation on various subjects like how Linux was born, how various components like x windows system was integrated into Linux etc.,.

This material is not available in other places.

If you have this single tarbal which consists of complete documentation then there's no need to search other place. But it may be outdated.

I thought it may be useful to you if you think it is useful for you just use otherwise just ignore but it may be useful for other people.

#5 2024-04-12 13:49:18

rupeshforu3

You can't find everything at one place.

#6 2024-04-12 14:26:05

seth

tldp.org has a search function… please don't copy the internet into your google drive.
https://archive.org/ already does that. Better.

#7 2024-04-12 14:35:50

rupeshforu3

Thanks for your suggestion.

#8 2024-04-19 10:46:57

rupeshforu3

The website doesn't have copyright because the files were uploaded by the fans of foss and I think after a few days it may disappear.

As it is going to disappear we need to save the contents of this website.

My system has taken five minutes to extract the whole tarbal. If you don't want any contents with in the extracted folder you can delete so that the disk space may be saved.

#9 2024-04-19 10:57:33

rupeshforu3

I and other people would be happy if there's continuation of this website because uploading files were stopped 20 years ago.

I think that ll the development of Linux takes place in the Linux community through developer's but outside people or end users don't know what is going on.

My request is if any new features are added to the Linux ecosystem those details must be showed to all who are interested.

There must be a website like tldp.org which teaches the concepts of Linux from the beginning including minute details and increase his knowledge upto the end.

#10 2024-04-19 12:16:45

seth

This isn't about copyright, I don't get where you see indication the webpage might "disappear" (though now as their traffic costs spiked that might oc. change…) and even iff, it's mirrored in https://web.archive.org/web/20240000000 … /tldp.org/

If you wanted to mirror it publically or locally that's fine, but sinking it in a tarball in a google drive does absolutely nothing but waste energy, time and money.

How old are you?

Board footer