You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-19 14:52:49

bodrah

Why do you use Arch

I'm curious what attracted people to Arch vs other distros such as Debian (and the varying flavors).  For me, it was the relatively unstable nature of Arch with the more aggressive release cycle.  I wanted things to break so I could learn how to fix them.  And boy I've made so many mistakes and broken I'd say around six Arch installs (and arch flavored distros).  But after about a year and a half, I finally think I've learned enough lessons that I can say I do not regret using arch.

#2 2024-04-19 15:38:55

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Why do you use Arch

My Gentoo system died and I needed to bring up a system to replace it quickly.  I was already sold on rolling releases.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2024-04-19 16:18:59

Fuxino

I tried it, loved it, never looked back.

#4 2024-04-19 16:51:19

MAYBL8

I tried qutie a few Linux Distros over the last 10 years starting with Mandriva.  Solyd, LInux Mint, Debian , MX Linux. They all had their pluses and minuses.
After doing some more research on Rolling releases (I liked the idea of installing once and just updating) I settled on Arch. Another reason was I could build it the way I wanted to . Learned allot doing that and still learning.
Forums are a great place to get questions answered. Here you are expected to do allot of reading which is good. Some of the support staff here are tuff on you but just do what they say and you will be fine.
I right now am running Arch as my main OS. I also run a arch based Mail Server (using Mailcow) . I am running a Arch based web server. Just plain NGINX .
I also have a multi boot Laptop running Manjaro and ArcoLInux just to see what these Arch based distros are doing.
Well I hope that answers your question.
Thanks
Dan

#5 2024-04-19 18:07:40

fmc000

Linux user since 1996 (kernel 0.8something). During the past 28 years I tried many distributions as you can imagine. I discovered Arch in 2012 (I had a different username at that time) and every now and then I switch distros but I always come back. Nothing is like Arch IMHO.

Linux user since 1996. Currently running Arch on an I7 11th gen laptop with root on zfs.

#6 2024-04-19 19:26:30

tho068

Started with Linux back in seventh grade I think, and I was distro hopping a lot. Tried everything from Ubuntu, to Suse and Gentoo before I found Arch. To be honest, I miss the days when Arch was using (sysvinit?) and the rc.conf files, mainly because it was so simple and easy to wrap your head around. I still think Arch is simple, and I do like SystemD, but it is not quite the same.

However, the package manager is far superior to whatever is used on the other distros that I have tried, and the rolling release model is quite nice. I dont like getting stuck on old software on Ubuntu and the derivatives

So the primary reasons for me using Arch, is because of the simplicity and the new software that you get without having to wait for a new release.

Edit: Another reason was that Arch was optimizing packages for new CPUs, one of the first to drop i386 as far as I can remember, but this is not true today, so I am actually running CachyOS now because they optimize packages better. But it is basically Arch, but with more optimization.

Last edited by tho068 (2024-04-19 19:29:13)

#7 2024-04-19 19:50:35

natervance

I kept having to go to Arch Wiki to fix my Mint install, get wifi working (it was 2013 and hardware support was rough), etc. Ended up making the switch to Arch in 2014 when I had to upgrade stable releases anyway. That way I could be closer to the source of the most reliable holistic Linux documentation available at the time. Since then I run Arch on my desktop and Gentoo on my server.

#8 2024-04-22 16:44:46

MS-DTYP

It's simple and works more stable for me than Debian. It's easy to install any software on it.

#9 2024-04-22 17:08:59

sekret

For me the main reason is the ABS in combination with the AUR and it's what really keeps me here in the end. On Arch, I can easily install anything. If it's not available in the repos or the AUR, I can create a package by myself totally easily. And I like to have it clean, so building and installing next to pacman is out of the question!

The second reason is the rolling release model. I prefer this approach even in every day's life. With Arch, you sometimes have to make little adjustments with updates, but hardly any big ones. It's like when you have to keep your house / flat clean: I prefer doing a little bit every day rather than one big cleaning action every once in a while.

Third reason is its simplicity and adjustability. With other distros you have stuff integrated already, e.g. AppArmor. With Arch, you have to do this yourself. What seems to be a disadvantage is really an advantage, because you can do almost everything exactly the way you want it. It's hard work sometimes and you have to be skilled, but it's doable and even beginners (like me in the beginning) can do it. Which leads me to …

…the last reason: education. I switched to Arch about 15 years ago, can't remember exactly unfortunately. Within my peers I was among the last (or THE last) who came in contact with computers and I really struggled! Windows 98 was my first OS and I had no idea what really to do with it or what an OS really is etc. Then after XP I switched to Ubuntu because back in 2006 a friend from university recommended it. I still only used it and had no real idea, what was going on on that computer. But I started to gain interest, so I went to find a distribution that helps me understand computers better. I read a comment somewhere in a tech forum about Archlinux. I tried it, succeeded with the tui based installation (which was a LOT more difficult than Ubuntu's installer) and was SO proud! I fell in love with the ability to customize applications with config files rather than GUIs.

Coming from nothing I taught myself how to make my computer system exactly the way I want it to be. I use dwm, mutt, ranger, dunst, … (shell applications whenever possible and reasonable) and it's the best thing for me! My Tuxedo laptop runs like a dream. I can create simple tools like a password manager based on dmenu and lpcli (cli tool for lesspass) which is extremely beautiful and many other tools based on dmenu (imho one of the best creations ever for computers) and so on and on and on…

Last edited by sekret (2024-04-22 17:14:58)

#10 2024-04-23 13:40:44

bodrah

Awesome responses!

#11 2024-04-23 14:45:26

Archttila

Works, stable, the WIKI is awesome! smile

Sway WM

#12 2024-04-23 15:55:56

raphaelabb

Beside all the qualities we usually hear about the OS, what I like is the concision and high level of expertise of the mods and active-helper members of the forums.

#13 2024-04-23 18:24:45

Xeauron

The Wiki, the community and the OS itself.

It's so good, I wanted to use the distro that is directly relevant to the wiki.

Came back to Linux in 2019 (I used it back in 2002 - 2006) to see how things were getting on, tried Garuda but things didn't work properly (sound, peripherals ect) so ended up trying Manjaro because I wanted to try an Arch based Distro and there's a prevailing opinion that Arch itself is this difficult time sink which I now know is nonsense.

I used Manjaro for a while and it worked well, I was amazed at how far Valve and the Wine team have progressed Linux gaming (all mine work), and a few of the other apps I use now work under Wine with minimal jank.
Then my Samsung SSD started quietly destroying my data which I only found out while doing my monthly DD backups.

I managed to salvage my personal files and instead of re-installing Manjaro I went with Arch direct, and it's been amazing. Smooth sailing for the past, what....4 years now.
The community is fantastic as well.

The only issue I've had is with Bluetooth drivers & packages which Timeshift corrected straight away, and I've still got the packages held back because it's working fine still.

So yeah, Amazing documentation coupled with a great community and stable rolling experience. So much so that I nuked my Windows 10 install completely.

Using Arch (and Linux in general) reminded me of what computing was like  back in the late 90s when I used to enjoy it, when it was just me and the machine.
Not being told by some asshole in Redmond I need an online account and how my computer will look and work on top of scraping god knows what off my computer and selling it on.

I've found my home and I'm happy.

Last edited by Xeauron (2024-04-23 18:26:48)

#14 2024-04-23 18:35:35

jsonv4

So that I could use the infamous"I use Arch btw" flex?

#15 2024-04-23 19:56:56

Daerandin
Website

I like how Arch generally stick to upstream default configs, making it easier to rely on upstream documentation for whatever I want to do. However, the most important aspect is the fact that there is no default desktop environment or even graphical environment after the install. This makes it so much easier to set up and configure my desktop the way I want it. I have been using Arch now for over 10 years now and has suited my needs perfectly so far.

#16 2024-04-26 19:50:17

diegoviola

ewaller wrote:

My Gentoo system died and I needed to bring up a system to replace it quickly.  I was already sold on rolling releases.

Would you have made the same choice if this was available?

#17 2024-04-26 20:59:53

ewaller
Administrator

diegoviola wrote:

Quite possibly.  Maybe not.  On the other hand, I never look back and wonder what if?  There is not much in life I would want to change.

I may go back to Gentoo after I retire.  Had this been available at the time, I guess it would have mattered as to which USE build flags they used.   USE flags are the one thing I really miss about Gentoo.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#18 2024-04-26 22:37:26

diegoviola

ewaller wrote:
diegoviola wrote:

Quite possibly.  Maybe not.  On the other hand, I never look back and wonder what if?  There is not much in life I would want to change.

I may go back to Gentoo after I retire.  Had this been available at the time, I guess it would have mattered as to which USE build flags they used.   USE flags are the one thing I really miss about Gentoo.

Good, I tried it recently and installation time went down considerably (from a couple of hours to ~2 hours). Arch is still a lot faster to get up and running quickly.

Board footer