You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-19 23:45:16

freddyg

Dislocker Fails to Unlock at Boot but Not After Reseating microSD

Howdy everyone, I've been dealing with a rather odd issue the last few weeks that has followed across a brand new SD card and partition so I assume it may be due to some kind of kernel change or something not getting loaded at boot correctly. So I have a github issue in with dislocker already but since it works flawlessly after I take the card out and plug it back in Im very confused as to what the  issue could be. I have not changed my fstab options from when it was working previously at all. mkinitcpio conf has also remained the same aside from the recent change with the microcode hook.

Fstab

# Mount device
/dev/mmcblk0p1	/mnt/dislocker	fuse.dislocker	user-password=password,rw,nofail	0	0
# Dislocker file 
/mnt/dislocker/dislocker-file	/mnt/Media	auto	loop,nofail,nosuid,nodev,umask=022,x-gvfs-show	0	2

When checking journalctl im seeing this not enough byte read error and the same in output for commands (I keep the commands in a script at this point, they work fine when reseated like I said so I don't think its a configuration issue. It even works just running mount -a after reseating but the script calls an xdg icon refresh as well since the partition is linked to my Music and Videos directories so if it isnt there at boot they're broken links and it needs to refresh to keep the little music and video icon in file managers)

Thu Apr 11 20:03:38 2024 [CRITICAL] Error during reading the volume: not enough byte read.
mount: /mnt/Media: failed to setup loop device for /mnt/dislocker/dislocker-file. 

and then my journalctl shows that /mnt/media and /mnt/dislocker are failing dependencies and it appears my device is timing out waiting for the sd card to be recognized. When I take it out and pop it back in, the issue is resolved and i can decrypt and mount it almost immediately. The other partition on the card is a keyfile on fat in plaintext used to unlock my home partition and is able to be mounted fine without reseating the card even though it says the first (bitlocker) partition is timing out. So to clarify that word salad a bit: keyfile partition (part2) works fine and i can decrypt my homedir but for whatever reason the kernel shows partition 1 is timing out.

relevant journalctl section:

arch kernel: mmcblk0: recovery failed!
arch kernel: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 499744640 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
arch kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev mmcblk0, logical block 62468080, async page read
arch kernel: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 499744640 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x80700 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
arch kernel: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 65408 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x80700 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
arch kernel: logitech-hidpp-device 0003:046D:101B.0006: HID++ 1.0 device connected.
arch systemd[1]: dev-mmcblk0p1.device: Job dev-mmcblk0p1.device/start timed out.
arch systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device /dev/mmcblk0p1. 

Is there some kind of module I should add to my mkinitcpio i may be missing since recent updates? This is only a relatively recent change but im not sure what would have caused it. I am on the most recent version of the cachyos kernel but it appears to persist across the default archlinux kernel as well. Ive also tried with LTS but it appears there as well.

Currently my modules and hooks for mkinitcpio are:

MODULES=(amdgpu radeon vfat fuse)
HOOKS=(systemd autodetect microcode kms modconf keyboard sd-vconsole keymap consolefont block sd-encrypt filesystems) 

Last edited by freddyg (2024-04-19 23:49:18)

Board footer